Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Hello! I like Pentax but don't own one yet

I mostly tend to cheer for the underdog.

I am here because I have been shopping for a DSLR for the last year or so. I am lucky enough to have the ability to try just about any camera. Must say that the K-5 is truly impressive, but, there are far fewer resources for Pentax than the other 2 big camera manufacturers.

Having said that there is something about Pentax that seems legitimate and passionate about photography. I am here to find out more about Pentax and it's users to answer the BIG question... to become a Pentaxian or not.

03-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne Outer East
Photos: Albums
Posts: 94
Hey Louie Welcome, the K-5 is awesome when you get a good one, just do it!
03-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Original Poster
Thanks DaveXT

Is QC an issue then?
03-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian
pete-tarmigan's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Conception Bay South, New-fun-land
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,007
The Big 2: The Marketing is the Message.

QuoteOriginally posted by Louie C. Quote
Thanks DaveXT

Is QC an issue then?
Yes, QC is an issue. Pentax lenses and cameras produce great IQ.

The young upstarts (Canon and Nikon) produce some cameras and lenses with great IQ too. However, their market share is purely a triumph of big marketing budgets. For example Canon camera marketing has access to profits from the photocopying business. Nikon on the other hand, back in the infancy of SLRs, managed to squeek by the others in the race to bring a full system for its SLR (lenses, motor drives, data backs, bulk film backs, etc.). This captured the tiny but prestigious professional photo-journalist market. They have been leveraging that ever since, to the point of overpricing (relative to actual performance and durability) a lot of their lower to middle price equipment by about 30%.

03-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE, USA
Posts: 1,302
OP, you can get a Pentax 10-12 mp used on ebay for peanuts. Buy a few good cheap used lenses and your off. No big deal to check out being a Pentaxian. If you want to progress, lots of fine Pentax glass out there to match the other 2 big guys.

I only shoot Pentaxs that use AA's. So I stick with 6 - 12mp range. Got 6 bodies I bought for next to nothing, so always have backups. If your not making giant poster prints, higher mp is not that big deal.

Good luck!
03-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
baro-nite's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,363
QuoteOriginally posted by Louie C. Quote
Is QC an issue then?
The K-5 had some QC problems on its introduction. Sounds as though the issues have been worked out. Check the K-5 forum.

The DA* line of lenses uses an internal focus motor (SDM) that has also had its share of problems. I'm the satisfied owner of a DA* 200, but some forum members have sworn off the whole DA* line because of concerns about the reliability of the Pentax SDM system.

Any line of gear will have issues; just trying to give an honest appraisal. I'm very happy with my Pentax gear. Much depends on your particular wants and needs with it.
03-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Yes, QC is an issue. Pentax lenses and cameras produce great IQ.

The young upstarts (Canon and Nikon) produce some cameras and lenses with great IQ too. However, their market share is purely a triumph of big marketing budgets. For example Canon camera marketing has access to profits from the photocopying business. Nikon on the other hand, back in the infancy of SLRs, managed to squeek by the others in the race to bring a full system for its SLR (lenses, motor drives, data backs, bulk film backs, etc.). This captured the tiny but prestigious professional photo-journalist market. They have been leveraging that ever since, to the point of overpricing (relative to actual performance and durability) a lot of their lower to middle price equipment by about 30%.
Excellent intro!

I tried the K-5 with the kit lens and although it's IQ was above average I am trying to build a small but high quality system. The main research right now is glass and lighting and how Pentax will look as a system for years to come.

I definitely believe the Canon and Nikon gear is overpriced by quite a margin. While the announcements have been exciting there is a real polarization between FF and APS-C users on both Canon and Nikon camps.

This community on first impression is great. I believe in helping others who are looking to upgrade their knowledge of photography and everyone has been stellar here so far.
03-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
OP, you can get a Pentax 10-12 mp used on ebay for peanuts. Buy a few good cheap used lenses and your off. No big deal to check out being a Pentaxian. If you want to progress, lots of fine Pentax glass out there to match the other 2 big guys.

I only shoot Pentaxs that use AA's. So I stick with 6 - 12mp range. Got 6 bodies I bought for next to nothing, so always have backups. If your not making giant poster prints, higher mp is not that big deal.

Good luck!
Interesting! Yes I don't doubt that there are some great used options out there. I don't have too many reservations on buying a K-5, but lens choices and lighting methods are my main point of interest at the moment. Thanks!

03-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
The K-5 had some QC problems on its introduction. Sounds as though the issues have been worked out. Check the K-5 forum.

The DA* line of lenses uses an internal focus motor (SDM) that has also had its share of problems. I'm the satisfied owner of a DA* 200, but some forum members have sworn off the whole DA* line because of concerns about the reliability of the Pentax SDM system.

Any line of gear will have issues; just trying to give an honest appraisal. I'm very happy with my Pentax gear. Much depends on your particular wants and needs with it.
The DA* lenses do look good on spec but there isn't much data out there from the usual sources (dxomark.com for example), I want to give the K-5 a go with some 3rd party glass (Tamron, Sigma) looking forward to some fun testing!
03-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne Outer East
Photos: Albums
Posts: 94
Some QC issues are ongoing and the Australian distributor CR Kennedy are not very helpful.
You may have far better support where you are but here in Australia we pay a premium for poor support.
03-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Some QC issues are ongoing and the Australian distributor CR Kennedy are not very helpful.
You may have far better support where you are but here in Australia we pay a premium for poor support.
In Canada the support is good, I know the rep for Pentax in my region and he has been very helpful, but too busy for my 20,000 questions, hence my interest in this forum. Sorry to hear about AU's distro's poor support.
03-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne Outer East
Photos: Albums
Posts: 94
QuoteOriginally posted by Louie C. Quote
In Canada the support is good, I know the rep for Pentax in my region and he has been very helpful, but too busy for my 20,000 questions, hence my interest in this forum. Sorry to hear about AU's distro's poor support.
Sounds ideal, just ask what the policy is if they can't repair your camera under warranty.
In Aus they supply you with a refurb which may also fail and then try to give you another refurb unless you jump up and down!
No where near good enough CR Kennedy! I have always had Pentax cameras and probably always will but next time I will buy from overseas as it will be less expensive and I will get better support.
03-05-2012, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,290
QuoteOriginally posted by Louie C. Quote
In Canada the support is good, I know the rep for Pentax in my region and he has been very helpful, but too busy for my 20,000 questions, hence my interest in this forum.
Ah, you must be in Sudbury!

You'll actually find far more than 20,000 questions already answered here if you use the right search terms. Seriously, Pentax should be printing this web address on their english-language manuals!
03-05-2012, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
Have you tried the offerings from Canon and Nikon? Believe me, once you get to hold a Pentax, you'd seriously doubt getting one from the big two.

as for lens selections, Pentax doesn't offer a lot from its new line-up - the DA line is somewhat still in its infancy. Fortunately you have access to lots of full-frame previous-series lenses that you can fit on current Pentax cameras without a sweat. As for lighting, there's plenty of manual flashes out there!
03-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Arn's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,755
Welcome to the forum. I love my K-5, love the old lenses available here in Canada, and the availability of newer lenses in the Marketplace. For me, the K-5 fit my hand better than the others, has WR, and image stabilization in the body, and takes great photos. Now, if I can get this photographer to improve...!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, pentax
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax 67 body and lenses don't / won't match jan normandale Pentax Medium Format 17 06-29-2016 08:06 AM
Why Pentax don't need a swivel LCD screen Douglas_of_Sweden Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 10 11-09-2010 04:26 PM
Don't try this with your Pentax Jodokast96 General Talk 6 08-13-2010 07:14 PM
Why don't Pentax make some of their older classic lenses? Unsinkable II Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 05-13-2010 07:47 AM
Money I don't have on things I don't need daacon Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 12-13-2007 10:04 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top