Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lapsed Pentax user from Australia

Hello all,
I started my Pentax journey in my early 20s with an ME Super and that lovely Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 lens. Sadly it was stolen but was replaced with another ME Super with Pentax-M 28-50 f3.5 and an EDIXA (rebranded Tamron I think) 80-210 f4.8. I still have both lenses but graduated to an SF7 with the 28-80 F Zoom, before lapsing into a compact digital when my kids were small and two years ago bought a second hand K100D body which I used with the lenses above to take picture of my boys playing Rugby.

I ordered yesterday a new K-5 (my first brand new camera in over 20 years) and I am hoping to rekindle my love of photography through bringing new life to my old lenses and others I find to satisfy my LBA (Lens Buying Addiction). A 50mm Pentax-A f1.7 is on the way already.

Advice on use of manual lenses with digital bodies (K100D and K-5) would be appreciated I have read the forums for lens reviews and the like and have ordered a split focus screen for the K100D. Wondering whether this is also wise for the K-5.

Thanks for reading

Julian

Last edited by JFD; 03-05-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling correction
03-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome (back), and congratulations on the K-5! The A 50/1.7 an excellent choice. You might be interested in this discussion of another focusing screen option. If you haven't already, be sure to read these two:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html

In short the A series and more recent lenses win on convenience, but the older K and M series are eminently usable.
03-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian

JFD - welcome, I hope you really enjoy your K-5. I have one coming myself this week.

Baro-nite - thanks for posting those links, very helpful, as I have been considering buying some old K mount and M42 lenses to play with. They are very reasonably priced here in NZ.
03-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Julian. Also in the article that baro-nite referred you to is a link to this one which I found really helpful when I first started using some old screwmounts Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs « robertsdonovan.com. As well, most people recommend getting genuine Pentax adapter rings Pentax Mount Adapter K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews. I have, and have had no trouble with them, and they're often available in the Marketplace.