Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 04:00 AM   #1

New K-5 user from the Netherlands

Hi all,

A few days ago I entered the DSLR world by buying a Pentax K-5 with a 18-135mm lens. This forum seems a good place to learn new things, discuss problems and share photos.

I started taking photographs about ten years ago, using an Nikon film SLR. For a short period I even developed my own films. About six years ago I gave in to the digital temptation, and bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ50 camera. This is a camera with the look and feel of a DSLR, but it has a fixed lens (35-420mm equiv) and a very small sensor. The camera is great for using outdoors when the sun is shining, but for use indoors, or even in cloudy conditions, you quickly run into problems because of the small sensor. Some of my pictures can be found on my Flickr page, although that hasn't been updated in a while.

In July last year I became father of a son, and started taking a lot more photo's indoors because of that. The limitations of the FZ50 really started to annoy me, and a few weeks ago I made the decision to buy a DSLR. Some online research quickly led me to two options: the Nikon D7000 or the K-5. I was really attracted to the K-5, but because I have really large hands, I was afraid that the relatively compact K-5 would be too small for me. But when I hold them both in my local camera store, it turned to be the other way around: the K-5 really fitted in my hands nicely, while I had difficulties holding the larger D7000. The K-5 is just designed much better.

So now I am the lucky owner of a K-5 with a 18-135 mm WR kit lens. Maybe I'll buy some more lenses in the future, but it seems that this lens satisfies most of my needs. Since I'm also into astronomy, I'm tempted to also buy the GPS unit with astrotracer function, but I think I'll postpone that until next autumn when the nights start getting darker again, instead of lighter.

I'll try to post some new pictures soon.

03-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hello and welcome, looking forward to seeing those images.
03-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome ronaldk i think you'll find lots of info here and you chose a pretty good camera lens combination to start with...hope you enjoy both the forum and your new toys.