Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #1

Hello, everyone.

Hi. A friend of mine gave me his old Pentax 100D as a birthday gift and been pretty excited ever since; went to the library to get a couple introductional videos and books and at least I now have a better understanding of the basics. Although I still have to figure out what kind of photos I want to take (I'm really not an outdoors person), this forum has help me decide what lenses (Pentax 35mm F2.4) to get for a better experience and also makes me feel I'm not alone in this; theres a lot of great work around here that kind of overwhelms me, but I'm sure everyone had to start from the point in which I'm in at some point, right?

Anyway, really, thank you for this space it has been so far of great help for me, surely I will keep visiting constantly.

Greetings, Antonio.

03-09-2012, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Hello Antonio and welcome to the forums.
You'll find there are many great people here - friendly and happy to help. As you mentioned, you can see so many wonderful examples of the photos being taken, it can inspire you to new ideas, show you which lenses you may be interested in (at which focal lengths you have an interest), and much more.

I hope you enjoy being here with us. I have a K100D and it is a nice camera. Still working well. And even took some nice night photos the other night. Let us know how you're doing. Do you have the 18-55mm kit lens already? Where are you located?

Bienvenidos!
03-09-2012, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
Hi, thank you for responging, man. I live in California. The camera did came with an 18-55mm, but my friend told me I may have more fun with the 35mm when I asked him if I should get one with more zoom; he talks a lot about blur and by reading here I realized this lense is pretty good at "bukehs" and low light conditions, I also learned that people think a hood was needed and so I ordered one as well. Oh, and bought an tripod as well.

I'm still waiting for that stuff in the mail, though. For the last two weeks I've been just playing around on the Av mode taking shots of a spider-man adjusting the aperture up and down to get the blur effects but thats about it for now. It didn't came with a manual, but Ive been learning a lot reading things here and there over the forum. In fact I'm afraid I'll end up enjoying more reading about it than actually doing hehe

Greetings.
03-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Here is the whole camera manual as a PDF you can download: Pentax K100D Manual

This is a great book that walks you through all the things on the camera and how to use them. The Magic Lantern guides are pretty good for beginners and don't cost much.
Pentax K100D Magic Lantern Book

From there, you might want to look for a book on Exposure. But really, what's best is just to get out and take pics everywhere you go. Don't be afraid to try unusual angles and push the limits. You may find you like a particular new way of seeing things.

best wishes!

03-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ohh! Hey, man! Thank you so much for the advide, I will definately get those books, been kinda busy lately but haven't stop practicing on what I have begin to understand, I'm playing around a lot. Will keep reading here as well, thanks again, take care!

Antonio.