Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #1

Hi from Kolkata !

Hi ,

I am from Kolkata and have an active interest in SLR photography. I have been shooting the Nikon F80, the Nikon D90 and the Canon 50D and have very little experience with Pentax. Even though I have heard fantastic things about Pentax and have always wanted to move to it, my much awaited switch has been delayed largely due to unavailability of Pentax in India. Finally however, I have managed to acquire a Pentax and among other things, a Tamron 80-200 2.8 (K mount) with the express intention of getting a fast telephoto (with shake reduction) at an affordable price. Now, I need help with the following :-

(1) I need a good 1.4x autofocus teleconverter for the aforesaid lens. I am open to the Pentax 1.7x and the Tamron 1.4x/Kenko 1.5x but I understand these are hard to come by and rather expensive when they do. With Pentax likely to take another year or so to launch its new 1.4x teleconverter, is there a good alternative thats easily available at the moment ??

(2) Extension to the question above, do the Tamron/other 1.4x autofocus teleconverters, autofocus with manual pentaxes too, just like the Pentax 1.7x does ?

(3) Suggestions on nooks and crannies in Kolkata where I could get Pentax lenses/gear.

(4) Feedback on the Pentax DA 16-50mm 2.8. I was keen on getting one as my walk-around lens, but read that it isnt so good at 16mm. Should I get the DA 14mm instead ?

Lastly, even though I have become a member of the forum only lately, I have been following it for quite some time now. Just want to put it on record that YOU GUYS ROCK !!

03-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! The Tamron/Kenko TCs are in demand because they are the only units that allow the SDM motors in Pentax DA* (professional grade) lenses to work. Vivitar sells a 1.4 TC that is, AFAIK, the same unit but missing the SDM function, easily available and not expensive (here's my review).

The Pentax 1.7x is the only TC that contains its own autofocus motor mechanism, and thus allows AF with a manual lens. All other autofocus TCs simply connect the camera's AF motor to the lens (or, in the case of the Tamron/Kenko and SDM lenses, connect the camera's PZ contacts with the lens).

Buying gear: the marketplace here on the forums is very active. Of course there's always eBay.

Can't speak to either the DA* 16-50 or the DA 14, but another lens to consider is the DA 15 Limited, much smaller than either of the other two and with an enthusiastic following here. Of course it depends on what focal length(s) you really want.

Last edited by baro-nite; 03-13-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: clarification; correction
03-12-2012, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, sydbarett. I can't answer the 16-50 or DA 14 question, I have the 12-24 for the wide end (which I love). But if I were to get a wide to mid zoom right now I think I'd choose the Tamron 17-50.
03-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi baro-nite !

Thanks for sharing the review. That was useful. If the Vivitar TC wont autofocus with SDM lenses, as also with the DA200, its use will be limited.

I might consider the 15mm too. I had zeroed in on the 14mm since it was the fastest of the lot therefore good for landscapes at dawn/dusk. Ideally I would have loved to get the 12-24. Its wide enough for me and has the added benefit of zooming upto 24mm, making it good for street photography. Dont know why Tokina doesnt have a Pentax version of 11-16mm. I loved the lens on my Nikon.

03-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the peep Arn !

Lucky you. The 12-24 seems to be a swell lens from whatever little I have read about it. I like the Tamron 17-50 too, just that it isnt wide enough for my purposes.
03-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wasn't Sid Barrett a late founding member of Pink Floyd?
Anyway, welcome Syd, and let's hear some new licks/see some new photos.

Regards
03-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sydbarett Quote
If the Vivitar TC wont autofocus with SDM lenses, as also with the DA200, its use will be limited.
Yes, the K-mount TC situation is very frustrating. Plain A-type TCs or extension tubes work with DA* lenses, but not so well (in my experience) with plain DA lenses. The Vivitar works with plain DA, but not DA*. Many of us have high hopes for the new Pentax TC announced as part of their lens roadmap, but that's listed under "2013 or later".
03-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #8

Hi Sydbarett,

Good to hear a fellow pentaxian from kolkata..I am also a new member in the forum.hope to see you around..

03-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hullo Sam,
Nice of you to have dropped in. Yup, Syd Barrett (with a double 'r") was the legendary founder of Pink Floyd.
Hope to interact more on the forum in the coming days.
Regards
03-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #10

Original Poster
I finally ordered a Vivitar after much trepidation and frustration. Hope it works well on my 70-200 Tamron. Keeping fingers crossed for the Pentax TC.
03-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks Rhyan. I'm told Pentax gear is more easily found in SE Asia than anywhere else.
03-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #12
Kiwi Pentaxian

Hi Sydbarrett,

Welcome to the forum, and to using Pentax gear.

I have visited your lovely city, and know for sure that it has amazing image making possibilities.

With regard to the 16-50/2.8 - there is an in depth review here on the site:

DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

This review rates the Sigma and Tamron as slightly better than the Pentax lens. I have the Pentax 16-50/f2.8 and got it under half new price at an auction, so it was amazing value. It is a very good walk around lens, and I have been happy with it at 16mm and wide open. I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the lens in the review as a walk around. Be aware with the Pentax 16-50 that it is relatively heavy for a Pentax lens - nothing like the Canon L or Nikon f2.8's but you will still know you have it on your camera.

Wishing you all the best with your journey into Pentax shooting.

Cheers,

Ross
03-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by sydbarett Quote
Thanks Rhyan. I'm told Pentax gear is more easily found in SE Asia than anywhere else.
In SE Asia, Malaysia and Singapore got plenty pentax gear display in the shelf.Actually i got my K-r in singapore when i was there for a 2 day visit last year. In the Philippines also have few, I have to say few because it happen that their is a manufacturing plant in their cebu island in particular but i have seen a few pentaxian.
And i forget to mention that I'm from Philippines, sorry for this sydbarett..
lastly regarding where to get pentax lens in kolkata, I acquire 1 DA 50-200 f4-5.6 lens from grey market ( fancy market in kiddhirpore). i don't know if they still have pentax lenses but the owner of the shop whispered in my ear saying "pentax is back ", sound great right..