Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #1

a new reader making a wish

Hello all - first time reading this forum. Until about 15 years ago I was still using a K-1000, and then stopped using a camera for quite awhile. About 8 months ago I got my first digital camera, a small sensor Ricoh.
I don't think I'll be posting much here, but will refer to this forum from time to time, as I am interested in upgrading, and considering the K-5.
What I would really be happy with is a truly compact environmentally-sealed camera with an APS-C sensor, with a few very good pancake lenses. The ultimate backpacker's camera. Something like the Sigma DP or Samsung NX, but with a "rugged" orientation. A panoramic mode would be the icing.
I would think that if Pentax put out the Q and the K-01, then this pocket-able "backpacker's camera" would be a logical venue to pursue - it would cater to an enthusiast market where there's a niche to fill.
But then I'm not a marketing person, just someone making a wish.

03-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome, hope you find that elusive kit for backpacking.
03-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 + the DA 40mm fits your bill pretty closely

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you snappychappy and Adam.

The K-5 and a suitable pancake comes close with respect to compactness (but not close enough), and certainly checks off all the other boxes, but for me, personally, it's overkill. I'd never make full use of its potential. But if the new Sigma DP1M comes in at the same price more or less, then it'll be a tough decision.

Snappychappy, those are simply magnificent photos in your Flickr stream.

03-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Consider the 18-135 for weather-sealed use.
03-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Consider the 18-135 for weather-sealed use.
Thanks, Ter-or.
Both this lens and the 18-55 kit lens are too big for me...it would definitely be the DA 21 mm. if I had to choose.
03-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
Kiwi Pentaxian

Hi Kliff, having a K-5 myself (but no pancake lens yet), and having done a bit of hiking and climbing in the NZ Alps and foothills over the years I have to say that the K-5 would be marginal (based on weight) for carting around for serious climbing or hiking.

It would be fine for walking up valley floors for a few hours (I intend to use it for that myself).

Mind you, I am neither as young or as fit as I was when I was doing more serious climbing :-)

In the end - everything is a trade-off and there is no such thing as a perfect camera. The K-5 ticks a large number of boxes.

Regards

Ross
03-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
Ross, thanks for the input.
I agree with you that I would certainly purchase the K-5 if it were to be solely for rugged hiking - but I'm looking for one all-around camera that I'd be able to take anywhere, including when I don't want to be that conspicuous. It certainly comes close - but I'd still prefer a slimmer camera. That's why I'm making this wish for something like the Samsung NX or Sigma DP with a "rugged" orientation. I would think that Pentax is the perfect manufacturer for this type of camera (having put out interesting cameras like the Q and K-01) - but again, I'm not a market expert.

« Hello | Hello »