Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Rochester. NY

Old timer here. Went to Rochester institute of Technology from a few years and studied Photographic Science and Instrumentation from 1969 to 1971. My uncle was a professor there and got me interested in photography. Over the years I have owned he following SLR cameras

Mamaya Sekor 500 DTL - First SLR and still have it although I gave up constantly repairing the metering system. Still your first love is always special.

Spotmatic II - Used it for years. Built like a tank. I may resurrect it. Great camera. Plenty of lenses for it.

Two Riccoh XRM's. My first foray into K-mount lenses. A very good camera for the price. Most of my photography has done on these cameras. They started breaking down and one has been trashed but the other remains. Very nice fitting camera.

PZ-1p - Barely used. Too complex for me. Way too many modes. Kind of bulky too. It is a fine photo making machine though. I may take the time to read the manual and give it a second chance at life.

ZX-5n - Love it. Added battery pack to it.

Unfortunately I really haven't taken many photographs over the last dozen years or so. Sort of lost interest but it seems to be stirring in me again. What really hurts is that I lost interest right after buying a Bronica ETRsi system. Unexpected life changes can do that to you. Nothing tragic, but still big changes. On top of that I started to pursue another life interest. Milsurp firearms. Love them Russian rifles from the first half of the 20th century.

Big fan of Pentax glass. I own no auto focus lenses. My favorite lens is my Pentax 300mm F4. I used to do a lot of outdoors photography and that lens rocks. Stubby and no tripod mount, but an awesome piece of glass.

I actually work for the big yellow box. I currently do field service supporting the printing industry. But I had a wide variety of jobs at Kodak. Laid off in 1998 after 24 years, I went to work for a remarkable company based in Vancouver BC. Then 5 years later, Kodak purchased them so here I sit.

Like a lot here I am ticked that Kodak is abandoning color reversal films. For outdoor photography nothing beats it. I am contemplating getting a DSLR, but it just isn't the same. Historians of the future will not have nearly as many documents and photographs form our times to look over as we have of the 19th and 20th century. I really think that the trend to digital everything is destroying the records of our times.

Anyways, I rambled on way to long. Glad to be aboard.

03-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, very glad to have your unique experience and perspective as part of the conversation here. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for film photography, and the important point you raise about long-term records.
03-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! You'll be happy to see that quite a few of us still shoot film, but if and when you do decide to pick up a DSLR, everyone here has valuable info to share. I think you'll fit in nicely here!
03-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums, a lot of people are willing to help you with anything if needed!