Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 03:55 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
hi from england!

hey everyone my name is kev, im fairly new to photography only about 6 months into it.
so far i have tried to shoot without reading the manual of my pentax k-r and just experimening with different lenses and camera settings. i am 23 and living in england on the welsh border so i am not far away from some stunning scenery i will upload some of my pics soon. i prefer shooting landscapes and all things wild and natural personally. but i am keen to buy myself a dedicated macro lens as i would love to get real close ups of flowers, insects etc. (any advice on a suitable lens would be appreciated )
anyway thanks for taking the time to read this and hope to learn from the forums members!

03-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum. there are lots of people who should be able to answer questions for you

Since you are just starting out i'll recommend a book that i recommend to most new slr shooters. in many ways it's far more useful than a manual (though to find some of the features on the camera you may need to reference the manual). since you like to shoot landscapes this may help you get results you envision more consistently

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Amazon.ca: Bryan Peterson: Books

I look forward to seeing some shots form your area
03-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Eddie will definitely check it out! I have loads of photos tried to upload some earlier but think they were too big so will resize later and try again
03-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

they need to be 1000 pixels on the long side or less because forum resizing will soften larger files
Mostly i post from my flickr

03-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
I haven't actually got a flick r account maybe it is time to sign up it seems a lot easier
03-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

As much as I hate to say it (because here in the Colonies we have a saying: real men don't read manuals) you need to read the manual, or pick up the Magic Lantern book on your camera so you can discover it's capabilities. Using is a great method of learning too, but you really should do both read and use.

In regard to macro lenses, you can pick some of the older Pentax fixed focal lenses (50mm and 100mm) at pretty reasonable rates. There is also the 40mm-80mm Pentax zoom that can gotten cheap. Just remember that manual lenses require a tad more work on your part, but are still easy to use. There are also several aftermarket zooms that also offer macro capabilities, which serve a dual purpose: the ability to zoom and the macro capability. Like everything in life, it all depends on your wallet, but given your youth, I'm assuming a fixed budget here. Here's an example (please note, I'm not the seller, nor am I recommending this lens) Sigma 28-200mm Macro

And welcome to the site. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

BTW: The wife and I will be in England soon, so please tell the Queen to expect us!
03-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

bear in mind none of the zoom options are true macro rather close focusing.
If you can deal with the manual focus and don't want to spend a bomb the M 50 f4.0 is a great macro for cheap.
in most cases with true macro you will end up using manual focus even if the lens is af (and a tripod)
if you go that route and decide it's a passion then a focusing rail is an excellent investment as is a ring flash
Someone has the DFA 100 macro for sale on the forum right now (the non WR version) for a pretty fair price as well if I'm not mistaken
03-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #8

Original Poster
Haha I'll tell the queen to get the tea on I think my budget is fairly reasonable around £400 don't know what this in dollars I don't want to be spending mega bucks on lenses although probably worth ig if I was any good haha! With the manual I was trying to learn as much as I could first so it sticks in better personally I find practical learning better but like you say I will have to get the manual out at some point. With regards to macro lenses what is the best thing to look for in features etc of the lens max/min aperture etc? I currently own the Pentax 35mm f2.4 DA It is ok for close ups but it is not a dedicated macro

03-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

For that kind of money, you should be able to find a nice Pentax F or FA 50mm or 100mm. It's just a personal opinion, but I would go for the 100mm. These also come in two flavors: F2.8 and F4. You might consider the slightly cheaper F4 and buy a ring light with the left over money. You'll most likely need it, and if you decide to get serious about macro work, a ring light is a must.

Right now, the English pound is worth about $1.60 US. If you can find a seller on ebay, you might make those pounds go further.

Oh, and please tell her Majesty that Twinkies would be greatly appreciated over crumpets!
03-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
this is gunna sound like a dummy question but what is F and FA?
this is also gunna sound dumb but ive never tried twinkies are they just like pastry and cream in the middle?
you cant beat a good crumpet or a full english. also being scottish haggis is a must!
03-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

When Pentax introduce the SMC (super multi coated) lens they started designating them with letters. The first were the K and M, which were manual operation. Then came the automatics: A, F, FA, DA, D FA and DA* (the last is designed for digital only use, while the rest can be used on 35mm film or digital bodies).

The site offers great reviews of each lenses here: Lens Reviews
03-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks tom will read through! Enjoy your time in England hope the weather ain't to bad for you