Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Not quite new to Pentax ...

After having (mostly) lurked for a while I want to say hello to y'all and how much I appreciate this forum's friendly atmosphere.

My first camera was an Asahi Pentax ESII (with a 50/1.4), back in 1974. I not only liked its features; my Dad had an M42 SLR (a Practica superTL) at that time, and with the Pentax I could borrow his lenses, extension tubes and the teleconverter. A bit later, however, I bought some more Pentax lenses (SMC 24/3.5 and, yes, an SMC 400/5.6), and they were so much better than my Dad's stuff that I didn't hijack this any more.

17 years and many rolls of film later I decided to enter the bayonet world. Again compatibility was an issue: With a Pentax camera I could still use my SMCs, and anyway I had been very happy with the Pentax stuff. Thus I bought an LX and pretty soon caught a severe fit of LBA: at last I had access to the world of fast modern lenses, and the A's and particularly the A*'s were so great ...

In the meantime it has dawned on me that the film era is coming to an end (I noticed this when my beloved Kodachrome disappeared from the market ). And the shelves are bursting with so many boxed slides that I don't rejoice in shooting new ones any more.

I started shooting more often with my compact camera (an Optio A40) but missed the VF and the IQ of an SLR. I then borrowed a K7 for a few times and saw how well my lenses still performed (or most of them, at least). When I got my hands on a K5 at Photokina 2010 I knew this would be my ideal camera: The moderate sensitivity and the often visible noise were the only gripes I had with the K7, and the K5 ideally addressed these issues ...

On the last day of the recent K5 cashback action I ordered one and have been very happy with it. I simply can't believe how well my ancient glass still performs! So be warned that you will be shown loads of ordinary everyday pictures that this DSLR newbie is excited about and feels are a revelation that he must brag about!

03-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! And welcome back to the world of (D)SLRs!
03-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Bonjour et bienvenu ...

Salut

I, too, got a K-5 at the first of the cash-back offer and using it with my LBA Pentax glass : A 50/1.7 (the best), M 50/2, M 75-150/4 (great), M 200/4, plus a lot Adaptall-2 & SP stuff that I recently started to collect ... fun stuff and the old glass ... c'est super!

Allez & A+, John le Frog

PS - LOL for the "y'all" ...
03-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was very surprised at how nice the M50 f/2 images look. The color response just has more depth than the modern lenses I have. Not that images can't be tweaked, but I'd rather get the look I want from the images in the camera.

Now you'll have to avoid LBA...