Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #1

Colin from LA.

The price drop on the K5 is ending soon. Is the video completely useless, or do people get worthwhile material?
thanks

03-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #2

Original Poster
K5 replacement

Also - does any one think that the features on whatever replaces the K5 will be compelling enough to holdoff on til it is released?
03-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Colinmx,

Firstly the video - I brought my K-5 primarily for stills and it is stunning for that. Made a very small video at a concert in Samoa earlier this week. Video is not completely useless - in fact it is ok in quality etc, but if you are buying the camera specifically for video then there are other options that might be more suitable, and more widely used in the DSLR community for video (more support).

With regard to the future K-5 replacement - I have recently brought the K-5 and asked myself the same question. Right now (until the end of the month) the K-5 pricing is really good. All the early production problems have been fixed, and you would be getting a superb camera at a very good price. What might be on the next model - better video, more MP - better IQ, better AF, maybe twin memory cards. I have found the K-5 more than my needs in each of these areas, so went for it. Honestly, unless you are planning to print the size of a roadside billboard you are never going to need more MP than the K-5 currently has. The IQ of the K-5 is stunning already - it really rocks in that area.

You will know what your requirements are - but if you wait for the latest and newest, you will never buy a camera - there is always another one around the corner.

Once you do purchase the trick is to use it lots, learn it throughly, and then make great images. Any of the current cameras on the market is good enough for that - the issue is not using the camera enough to learn its strengths and weaknesses.

There is no prefect camera - but the K-5 is good, and a lot of camera for the money.

Hope this helps

Ross