Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Greetings and Salutations

My first "real" camera was an East German completely manual Practika with TTL light metering. With the help of every book I could lay my hands on, I attempted to teach myself the Art of Photography. I still have all the books, including a complete mint set of the Kodak creative photography series I'm thinking about revisiting as a refresher.

Then in 1986 prior to a business trip to Queensland Australia, I became a Pentaxian with the purchase of a Pentax Super Program with an SMC Pentax-A 50mm (1:1.4). I also bought an SMC Pentax-A 70-210 zoom (1:4) shortly thereafter. After using a fully manual camera for so long I remember being amazed at all the neat features and automatic modes. Over the years I bought various and sundry other items.

Being basically an electronics guy with major leaning towards digital, I really started "chomping at the bit" when the digital stuff started appearing. However I didn't want to loose my investment in all the good Pentax stuff I had invested so heavily in so I sat back and waited. There was a fair amount of brand loyalty there, too! Then when the *ist-D first came out I almost pulled the trigger, but I waited some more instead.

In September of 2007 I got myself a K-100D body from an online retailer. I used my A series lenses with it until about 18 months ago when I broke down and got myself a SMC Pentax DA AL 18-55mm autofocus lens; I wanted to see just what the auto focus stuff was all about, and also wanted it for the ease of point-and-shoot for my wife and daughter.

When the K-7 came out I salivated a bit but again didn't pull the plug, but then I really broke into a cold sweat over the K-5 when it was released. I didn't think I could really justify the expense though since I am truly just a hobbyist, although I have shot a few weddings for friends (they've all been happy with the results, thank goodness!).

Well, after some soul searching the last few weeks I decided I'm not getting any younger, and it was about darned time I spent some of the hard-earned (and harder saved) retirement money I've managed to save over the years.

Friday last I pulled the plug; I purchased a K-5 with the 18-55 kit lens from B&H. Now I'm waiting anxiously for the delivery next week. I can't wait to try the time lapse feature to see what our gaggle of cats really do during the night while we're asleep in our nice warm bed; that's the first thing I have in mind to do.

So, fellow Pentaxians, there's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Hopefully you're not all beating your heads against your keyboards in boredom over this long post! Just FYI, I've still got all my original SLR stuff except that old Practika. I gave that to my sister way back when and it was promptly stolen from out of her apartment.

Cheers and happy Snapping!

Last edited by JoeCool87TC; 04-01-2012 at 08:56 PM.
04-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Another great Pentaxian story showing the value of the Pentax commitment to compatibility. The kit lens is a fine performer; of course so are those classic A lenses you have. Enjoy!