Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

New Here

hi all,

a newbie here. i researched for months on the web for all dslrs and decided on the pentax k100d due to my being a pentax mx user before. i went to P&S for about 6 years and thought for awhile the nice things i have been missing with the SLR camera so here i am a new pentax DSLR user (in fact i just got my camera a week ago). my camera came with a 18-55mm lens. my old pentax mx has a 50mm 1.4 manual lens. my question is will i be able to use my old 50mm 1.4 manual lens with my K100D and will it be a nice lens or should i stick with the kit lens ? and aside from the 18-55 kit lens what do you guys think i should also get as a zoom lens (50-200, 28-200 ???) as i love taking sceneries action shots and all. appreciate all the help.

thanks,
cruiserlan2000

12-27-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, Cruiserlan2000!

From what I've reading here at this forum, pretty much any Pentax made lens can work with your K100D.

As for how to use your 50mm lens with the camera, or any manual lens for that matter, I don't know yet (I'm a newb too), but from all the samples I see in another forum you should have a blast with it when you figure it out.

I've got the 18-55mm kit lens on my K100D and I'm having all sorts of fun with it. I'm deciding on another lens or flash for my next purchase but that won't be until the spring/summer.

Happy shooting!
12-27-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

Sure, you can use the 50mm on your K100D (and it'll be useful because of the fast aperture), but you'll have to use manual metering.

Here's a thread on how you do that: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/1313-metering-smc-m-lens.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You will surely like that 50mm lens for sure. Is it a A or M version. A version will be a lot easier but M is very much usable and Mo's link will help you. Welcome aboard.

12-28-2006, 12:35 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
as far as i know it is a M version (manual ??). but i had fun using my old trusted Pentax MX since 1976 ( i think) i remember i bought it for about $200 US dollars (again i think). anyway thanks guys for the welcome. you sure will be hearing a lot from me since i am a really new digital slr user.

cruiserlan2000
12-28-2006, 04:44 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Welcome Aboard. Always glad to see new faces. Your Question about older lenses on the new K100D Is well answered here and again yes you will be able to use your 50mm f1.4 on the new K100 and you will be able to use the SR and set your focal length for 50mm on manual setting. It's a great camera and You have a fine old lens there. I myself have 3 50mm my f/2, f1.7 are both manual and my f1.4 is an A lens. All if them work flawlessly on my DL and I know by reading the manual and seeing others post of pictures of this lens it will work very well on my soon to be K100D.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David