Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #1

Hello from a new member...56k Warning

My name is John Cowan, and I am a Canon user. Currently the Canon that I own is in an auction on ebay. The reason for this is that I am going to buy a K10D. There are many reasons to do so, but you guys already know them, so I won't bore you with them.

Before I go Pentax I thought I'd show off my Canon colors. So here is a small sample of my images from the past 4 years. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

01-11-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
kool pics

Seems the cannon was doin a good job,so what r ur reasons to change out of curiousity. Ive heard lots of different reasons like to hear yours if its kool and welcome to the forum.Ive got the k10d and luv it. wish u the best with yours.
01-11-2008, 03:46 AM   #3

Beautiful shots, love the statue.
01-11-2008, 04:32 AM   #4

Changed from Canon to Pentax (K10D) myself about a year ago and have not regretted it at all - the K10D is a terrific camera, especially if you take time to master its many features.

Good shots, by the way

01-11-2008, 06:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Amazing shots. NIce work. Can't wait to see what the K10 can do for you. Why not give us your top 3 reasons. Just curious.
01-11-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Baby, you got it - the eye for colour and composition.
Welcome to the forum
01-11-2008, 06:58 AM   #7

Very nice, I especially like the Mbuna shots. Are the fish yours? I have a tank of them back home in Luxembourg, they are quite remarkable creatures.

Matthew

Last edited by Matthew Allen; 01-11-2008 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Clarity
01-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

I was sure no one would care much why an old Canonite like myself would want to switch systems, but here goes...

There are 3 categories of reasons for me:

Why Pentax, why the K10D, and why now? Well the answers are simple.

Why Pentax? Well my first SLR, way back at the beginning, was a Pentax ME Super. What a camera! I also had an SF7 AF later on after that. I loved the Pentax glass back then, and the thought of being able to use it on a new DSLR is almost enough reason right there. Price is another big reason to go with Pentax. Look at canon's new 10MP semi-pro offering. $1399.oo for the body alone? That is a lot for me. That is almost my whole budget to begin with.

Why the K10D? Back to the subject of Canon's latest model. I can get the K10D for $609, thats half the price of a Canon 40D. And just look at what you get vs. the 40D, in camera AS, Canon IS lenses, even the non-pro ones, are insanely priced. Weather seals, thats a no brainer, true dust reduction, Canon's version is a joke, and you can see that just by reading all the complaints from 40D and XTi users that say dust is still a major issue. SD card usage, not a biggie, but come on, CF cards are outmoded already. For me the ability to shoot RAW in the .DNG format is a big plus.

Why now? Well, things have just come together so that I can afford to make a pretty decent switch. I am not a very well to do person, so I have to be careful when doing these things. I have been intrigued by Pentax ever since the Ist* DS, and with the intro of the K series I have really been impressed with Pentax's offerings. The K10D really just pushed me over the edge on this, but it has only been very recently that I have been in a position to make the switch. I also have needed some time to really make sure that the K10D's image quality was going to meet my expectations, and I feel I can confidently say that it will and then some.

So these are my reasons. They make sense to me. I suppose if I had an unlimited budget I would just stick with Canon, and get all the big toys from them. But I live in a place called reality, and in this realm Pentax offers me more than Canon does. It's that simple.

01-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Allen Quote
Very nice, I especially like the Mbuna shots. Are the fish yours? I have a tank of them back home in Luxembourg, they are quite remarkable creatures.

Matthew
Hey, thanks!

Yes the Mbuna are all mine. Nice to see a fellow cichlid fan out here in non-fish land. I use a double strobe slave system to get those shots. I can't wait to see the results from the K10D with AS turned on. YThose guys never stop you know... lol
01-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by almo Quote
(snip) So these are my reasons. They make sense to me. I suppose if I had an unlimited budget I would just stick with Canon, and get all the big toys from them. But I live in a place called reality, and in this realm Pentax offers me more than Canon does. It's that simple.

Beautiful photography, and your reasons for switching are certainly entirely reasonable. I've used a number of different camera brands over the years and it was a real pleasure for me to finally be coming back to Pentax last year. Hope the experience is as pleasurable for you. Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Pentax photography.

stewart
01-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #11
Forum Member

Where was that first one of the statue taken? It's perfect.
01-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oceanic Quote
Where was that first one of the statue taken? It's perfect.

Thank you!

It was taken at a cemetery in Jacksonville Florida. It is a statue that stands in the middle of a bunch of tiny graves in one small corner of the cemetery called...

Here is the full statue...
01-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Almo
Welcome to the Pentax family. You will not be disappointed one bit...The most important thing that I have learned here, is that the most important piece of equipment in the photographers arsenal is the ''Photographer himself'' It is obvious by looking at your photos, that the ''photographer'' part of it is handled, so their is no doubt, you will take even better pics with the K10D...
Welcome aboard...

p.s. I am an Oscar Lover..I too love fish. They are my babies...
Have been raising them for years.
01-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Almo
Welcome to the Pentax family. You will not be disappointed one bit...The most important thing that I have learned here, is that the most important piece of equipment in the photographers arsenal is the ''Photographer himself'' It is obvious by looking at your photos, that the ''photographer'' part of it is handled, so their is no doubt, you will take even better pics with the K10D...
Welcome aboard...
I hear that on the most important piece of equipment being yourself. I believe it was Ansel Adams that said something like, My camera has never taken a picture without my help.

I am a naturally pretty humble person, so I won't sit here and talk about good my pics are, but I can say it would be sweet to see them come out even better with this new camera. It does after all have a 5 year technological advantage over my old DSLR.

QuoteQuote:
p.s. I am an Oscar Lover..I too love fish. They are my babies...
Have been raising them for years.
I love my cichlids. In fact I actually have several species of fry at this time. Guess I'll be selling here soon. Maybe I'll pull in enough to look at the SMC 50mm 1.8, a lens I had way back in the day, when I shot with a ME Super. That was one hell of a lens!