Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Newbie from Texas

Hello all. Complete newbie here still looking to purchase my first DSLR.

I had a Nikon D7000 but had to return it after Nikon tech support and I were convinced of a defective AF. I was going for a replacement but stumbled on to this forum and decided to give the K5 a shot. It will take me a long long while and investments in great lenses before I can take quality pic but I'm good at learning from my mistakes. The pics in one of the threads were truly inspirational and ultimately convinced me to try the K5.

Really excited and looking forward.

04-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just now read up on the Pentax's pricing strategy that started on 4/1. I'm a couple of days late. D'oh!

Are the lenses really that expensive? I guess my research continues.....
04-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Howdy! Glad to have another Texan here on the forums! There are quite expensive lenses, but then also some very (relatively) cheap wonders to be had in the Pentax world. If you don't mind all manual lenses, some of the Takumars are absolutely wonderful lenses, most of which can be had for <$150-200. The kit lenses as well are superb for a kit lens. If you need a telephoto zoom, I'd highly recommend the DA-L 55-300mm. It's my favorite lens out of the 3 that I own and I find it almost permanently glued to my K-r.

I'm sure some of the more experienced Pentax veterans here will be glad to lend you a hand in your search for that perfect glass.
04-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks jbuck.

Whereabouts in the grand state of Texas are you located? I'm in Lubbock, home of Buddy Holly and the Red Raiders.

Really appreciate the lens suggestions. I'll take a look at the kit lens and the 55-300mm you mention. I'd also like to add a macro at some point and this forum seems to have a lot of great suggestions with sample pics.

Glad I found this place.

04-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Im from Dallas originally but live in College Station now.

I've had my eyes on the D-FA 100/2.8 WR macro for a while now. It's about $600 new but from what I've read is a one stop shop for macro lenses.
04-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome sage. When looking for glass, do not overlook used from Adorama, B&H, KEH, etc. as equipment from these vendors does come with a warranty, while short lived, still a warranty. I have bought used from KEH on several occasions and have not been disappointed, with glass or cameras.......Cliff
04-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
Im from Dallas originally but live in College Station now.

I've had my eyes on the D-FA 100/2.8 WR macro for a while now. It's about $600 new but from what I've read is a one stop shop for macro lenses.
If its a 1 stop shop, I'm good with that price range.
04-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Welcome sage. When looking for glass, do not overlook used from Adorama, B&H, KEH, etc. as equipment from these vendors does come with a warranty, while short lived, still a warranty. I have bought used from KEH on several occasions and have not been disappointed, with glass or cameras.......Cliff
Thanks Cliff. I have absolutely no issues buying used. Great advice.

Funny thing - I accidentally unsubscribed from this thread. I didn't read my email and thought the link would take me here. D'oh!

04-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wait...is my understanding correct that if i want to upgrade later, the next step up from the K5 is the one that costs $10k? Uh-oh.
04-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! I'm just west of Ft Worth...I have relatives in Lubbock but haven't visited there in several years. One problem you won't have in Lubbock is any obstacles like trees or hills in your field of view!

You will be very pleased with the K5,it is excellent, but may take a little time to learn if you are new. I didn't see anyone mention it, but Sigma and Tamron both make some excellent lenses that work perfectly on the K5 and render superb results at a much more reasonable price in many cases. If a lens produces good results, I don't care what brand it is.

Best Regards & Happy shooting!
Rupert
04-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks very much Rupert.

You're right about the lack of trees. Not much in this area so I'll have to be more creative and imaginative.
04-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If you're willing to shoot manual focus then there's a lot of awesome lens for the price (: like the M50 1.7 ,M85 f2 I can name a couple more but those two are my favorites. And welcome to the forums
04-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
If you're willing to shoot manual focus then there's a lot of awesome lens for the price (: like the M50 1.7 ,M85 f2 I can name a couple more but those two are my favorites. And welcome to the forums
Very cool.

I decided to get both the K5 and the Nikon D7000. I'll try em both and keep the one for me but I have to say that right now, I am quite partial to the K5.
04-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I noticed that with the new Pentax pricing the changes the D-FA 100/2.8 Macro WR price jumped from $600 to $850. Not sure if it's still a "one stop shop" in comparison to some of the other macros. It's still at the top of my list but you may want to do some research if you're in the market for a high-end macro lens.