Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #1

Hello from Ohio!

Hello everyone!

Over the past 6+ months, I have been reading and researching a DSLR to take pictures of my family on vacation, etc.

Saturday night, I took the plunge and ordered a Pentax K-5 with the 18-55mm kit lens at the end of the "sale." I initially wanted the Nikon D7000, but something drew me to Pentax. I definitely like the smaller size and the weather sealing.

After reading a ton of lens reviews and looking at some amazing pictures, I'm on the verge of a lens buying addiction. I haven't received my camera and I've already ordered a SMCP-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED and a SMC-M 50MM F1.4 I found on ebay. The FA Limited Lenses are calling me in my sleep, and the 15mm Limited is controlling my mind!

I'm new to photography, but I think I've read enough over the past few weeks to be able to at least turn the camera on and snap a few decent pics! Tomorrow we shall see!

I usually keep to myself, but I may chime in here and there to ask a question or give an opinion.

Thanks for reading!

Chuck

04-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have a solid kit to start with, you'll know you're in trouble when you want a Battery Grip for the K-5
04-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great intro!
You've already been going through this forum's threads!
Beware, LBA is not far away...
But welcome!
04-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome!

Oh, and I already have the battery grip on my wish list at B&H! (along with about $4,000 more worth of lenses)

A little at a time!

04-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chuckn246 Quote
Thanks for the welcome!

Oh, and I already have the battery grip on my wish list at B&H! (along with about $4,000 more worth of lenses)

A little at a time!

You do have it bad. The battery grip is an excellent addition to the K5, I've never run out of battery since adding it and it balances the camera nicely too
04-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
I ordered an extra battery with the camera, along with all the cleaning stuff and a shutter release remote.

$200 seems steep for that thing, but it would be nice knowing that I don't have to worry about the battery going dead.

Is there an accessory buying addiction as well?
04-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chuckn246 Quote
I ordered an extra battery with the camera, along with all the cleaning stuff and a shutter release remote.

$200 seems steep for that thing, but it would be nice knowing that I don't have to worry about the battery going dead.

Is there an accessory buying addiction as well?
Yes there is ABA as well as LBA. The D-BG4 is a bit pricey, which is why I took my time and found a lightly used one for about 60% of the new price. I read every thread here about the battery grips and decided that I'd stick with the OEM instead of the $60 Chinese copy because of fit & finish issues as well as the WR that the OEM has but the copies do not have.

04-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yes, I'm definitely going with the Pentax one when I do decide to get it. (which will probably be sooner than later)

This place is torture! I'm browsing the lens sample photo archive and I may be updating the wish list again.. That 12-24 is lookin mighty nice!
04-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, where in Ohio?

Shared any K-5 pics yet?
04-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #10

Original Poster
East Ohio right outside of Steubenville. I love the K5 so far, although I haven't had much time with it because I started working overtime in Youngstown which is a little over an hour away. Making extra $ for more lenses!

Anyways, here is my Flickr, which has a few of the first pics I have taken. Nothing too exciting yet

Flickr: chuckn246's Photostream