Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #1

I do NOT have a Pentax..

Hello, I never really sign up for any forums, but here I am, anyways... I do not own a Pentax, and know nothing about them, I own a canon so im already probably being looked at the wrong way by now... anyways... id like to introduce myself, and let you all know that I value your forums for teaching me about old lenses and such, and I am very glad this forum exists... So now, my question is... Whats so good about pentax? should I get one? is my canon not ever a camera cus pentax exist? and am I even welcomed here even though I own a canon? :P

04-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you're still welcome over here You might also like to visit our other forum, Camera Forum and Photo News Blog - Camera-Enthusiast.com, which is more focused on photography itself.

Pentax cameras are great because they support thousands of legacy lenses and are generally much more affordable. Their user interface is also really easy to use. Disadvantages include lack of local retailer presence and no full-frame pro gear.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Some of my best friends shoot Canikon, so I won't hold it against you ;-)

I like Pentax because:

a) I had a bunch of old K-mount lenses from the late 70's and early 80's, so it seemed a sensible choice when I finally went to DSLRs.
b) I am secure enough to march to a different drum-beat. It's nice to shoot a big rock and roll show and be the only Pentax in the pit.
c) the limited primes are tiny jewels to be treasured.
04-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #4

since you dont have pentax yet, read this forum carefully to understand the situation of pentax (read particularly this: Brutal Pentax Lens Price Increase: 15-90% - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com) and think twice.

04-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
Kiwi Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum toxicillusions.

Enjoy your Canon. Pentax is very good for old lenses and even the M42 screw mount lenses with adaptors are very easy, and a lot of fun to shoot on Pentax cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
since you dont have pentax yet, read this forum carefully to understand the situation of pentax (read particularly this: Brutal Pentax Lens Price Increase: 15-90% - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com) and think twice.
If you are using Pentax and don't mind second hand or older lenses, then the price rises are likely to have less of an effect. Lots of grumpy US Pentax users at the moment around the price rises, but those of us around the rest of the world brought our Pentax systems knowing that lenses prices were similar to Canon and Nikon and still brought in any way.

I have previously used Nikon cameras and have found the Pentax K-5 a very easy camera to learn and use. The user interface is very intuitive.

If you are interested in K-mount lenses, I believe there are adaptors that allow you to use them on Canons - some of which will transmit the lens data.

Ross
04-05-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You are welcome here, whether or not you shoot a Pentax camera.

Canon makes some great cameras and lenses. For me personally, the reason that I chose Pentax originally was for the lenses. When I went digital, I felt like I could get more features, better built gear for the same money than from Nikon or Canon. Pentax cameras and lenses tend to be smaller (which I like) and they have in body stabilization, so all of my lenses are stabilized (even really old manual ones).

Pentax has just had some price increases and we'll have to see how things shake out in the end. I think they will settle down in the end, but I am also hoping/expecting to see some really nice cameras released in the fall of this year.