Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
(photo?)Journalist introducing himself

Well hi. I'm not usually the sort to formally introduce himself in the welcome section -- I typically just lurk -- but I'm excited about this community and thought I should stick out my hand.

I'm a reporter for a small-town paper (circulation of about 4,000) and recently decided to focus more on my photography. I find myself doing everything involved in putting together content for the paper on a daily basis (putting together an average of two to three stories a day, including interviews, shooting photos, writing up the stories and cuts and laying them out on the page), but I've found myself enjoying the photo side of things more lately.

I've always had fun with photography and received a minor in Fine Arts w/ a specialization in film photography, but I never really saw myself doing it as more than a hobby. My job has taught me that I should spend more time taking quality shots for fun and would ultimately like to spin it out into something I do full-time in a studio rather than on the side while working on stories.

To that end I've purchased a K5 and a few decent lenses to play with. I'm pretty decent with composition but need serious work in lighting and especially working with the images on the computer, but I recently picked up Photoshop and have been learning a lot with it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to improving my photography as a member of this website and getting to know this community.

04-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the community, as a fellow new(ish) member, I can say that no one here bites.(Except that Adam fellow, still mad at him for the K-3 joke :P)From the way you describe yourself, it sounds like the paper keeps you pretty busy, though I'd assume you like your line of work. Got any hobbies you like to partake in?(Apart from photography)

P.S. You seem to have the same issues I have - I loath post-processing and lighting is a nightmare if I'm involved half the time.
04-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome.

Did you get photoshop, or lightroom? I personally have found lightroom to be able to do 95 percent of the editing that I need and the work flow is a lot smoother than with photoshop. Not sure about the newest version of lightroom 4. sounds like it is still a little buggy and slow, but something to think about.
04-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Eulogy: Oh, I've got gobs of hobbies that I don't spend enough time on. My wife and I both enjoy gardening and urban farming -- we've got three chickens and a pair of ducks in our backyard.

Rondec: I have Elements on my computer at work (I know, right?), so I'm used to Adobe. I have CS5 at home. That's not to say that I wouldn't look at Lightroom, I've just never ventured off from PS.