Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
You're A Smart Man Uncle Packy!

I hope I'm in the right place for introductions. I'm fairly new to photography, having bought an inexpensive P&S on a black Friday a year and a half ago. My photo requirements changed rather suddenly and found I needed an DSLR for work and of course play. I was serioursly considering the Canon T2i or T3i and had been Internet hunting for best prices when I read a Canon review praising a lesser Pentax that was "rumoured" to having some of the same innards as pro Canon models! That one sentence put me onto the scent of Pentax and here I am. I was, as you put it "lurking about" on the Forum and was amazed and overjoyed to find confirmation that Pentax cameras are quality built!

The amazing thing to me is, when I was in elementary school my Uncle Packy bought an Ashai K1000. My father followed suit, knowing his brother always put a lot of thought and research into whatever he did. Unfortunately the camera sat in a dark closet most of the time. He was not interested in photography, I think the learning curve seemed a bit steep for family pictures using a Polariod camera most of the time.

I have just bought a K20 from one of your members and I will even be able to use my fathers kit lens! I am very excited and feel a renewed connection to my Uncle, thinking him more clever than ever, although he has passed. Thank you Pentax Forums for being there for me and all the wonderful opportunities you offer!

04-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Out of curiosity, what kit lens was your Uncle using? If he was an enthusiast you may well have a gem in your possession. That said, I've taken some really nice images with an old F50 f/2 lens. I'm sure you'll have fun with it.
04-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your interest. I'll give it to you just as I see it on the lens, SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50 mm 6836599 ASHAI Optical Co.
04-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

That's the standard kit lens - I think it's underrated, particularly on modern bodies. I've got a couple, one is always in my case. I've even used it as a pseudo-macro lens. Somehow I think its color response is better than my modern lenses - though I'm prepared to consider it's actually more attentive metering and exposure which gives this result.
carpenter bee | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Verbena | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Virescent green metallic bee | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Do a little reading about using the manual lenses on the new bodies and you'll have fun. Catch-in-focus makes this much simpler.

04-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

not worht a great deal as a lens (it was a standard low cost kit lens) however it is a very good (just not stellar) lens. Certainly it will have an edge on the k20 kit lens
04-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Now that's the kind of close-up I'm talking about! Great brilliant color, love your flowers and bees on your photo stream. I bought the K20 for close-ups and better ISO. Sorry I couldn't comment, I'm not a member yet. Thank you for your encouragement about the lens quality. A camera lens was not included with my "new" camera, so I will use the K1000 lens for now. Wondered what kind of telescoping can I buy used for around $75? I think my uncle was an enthusiast, I seem to remember him carrying a camera around his neck often, I think he had more lenses than my father.
04-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info on the lens. It's helpful to hear from the experienced photographer, I now have an idea where I stand on the quality.
04-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep an eye open here, and even places like goodwill.com for some good bargains. You'll fine another nice kit lens - a 135mm is also quite good, though a little trickier to use than the 50. When I'm walking the dogs or whatever I usually have a zoom, for convenience. There should be plenty of manual lenses around, some more expensive than others. As long as the optics are good, these new cameras can really make use of them.

I check craigslist for Pentax and Vivitar every so often, it's worth the effort.

04-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good ideas Ter-or. I didn't realize there was a GoodWill.com, I'll be checking all those places! Is there a lens make I need to stay away from? I read on this site someone's experience with a Sears lens, couldn't get it off, not even the seller of the lens and no one in the camera store except for one person seemed to know how.
04-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Read about the Ricoh pin. Apparently some of those K-mount were for a Ricoh system and you have to remove a pin or the lens will get stuck. I've got a bunch of JC Penney lenses from an older couple getting rid of their old Pentax stuff - the longer lenses I don't have much use for, but the 28mm lens in the group is a nice close-focus lens. Plus, another M50, and their stuff is pristine.

PS. I sent you a PM.