Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Just joined and likely leaving disappointed

So sad. I've had my Nikon D300s in the shop for 3 weeks waiting for a part that is back-ordered, and likely won't arrive for months. Was ready to jump ship and get a K5, but now will probably just buy another Nikon body instead. Was willing to pay a premium, but not this much! Lost my business before they ever got it...
I talked my wife into helping support this, even though we would be ordering it online without holding it in-hand first, because I am tired of the lack of service by Nikon (and likely Canon), but it appears Pentax is also not very in-touch with their customers.
Very disappointing.

04-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At the moment, Pentax isn't in many stores- but I have a hunch that this will change due to the recent acquisition by Ricoh. I wouldn't cross them off your list yet, but I agree it would be nice to handle the camera before buying it

The camera is nice still affordable- it's $1099 in the US (i.e. at B&H).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian

Hi TreeSpring,

I have previously owned a Nikon D200. I sold it and the lenses late last year. The Nikon's are great camera's but I was finding it just too big, heavy and complex for me.

I am really enjoying my K-5 which I have had for just over a month. It is small, quiet, light, relatively easy to learn and use and has some very nice features. I like the Pentax lens range - it works for me - particularly the small primes.

I travel a lot, and wanted a very competent camera with smallish lenses to take with me. The Pentax fitted the requirements. If you are into high action sports or birding you would probably miss your D300s - which has very high quality auto-focus.

With regard to support - I am not in the USA but NZ. The Pentax support agent here is reputedly not that good. I guess you find these things out when something breaks.

The K-5 is a great little camera, and I think the US pricing is pretty good for the amount of camera you would get.

Ross
04-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TreeSpring Quote
So sad. I've had my Nikon D300s in the shop for 3 weeks waiting for a part that is back-ordered, and likely won't arrive for months. Was ready to jump ship and get a K5, but now will probably just buy another Nikon body instead. Was willing to pay a premium, but not this much! Lost my business before they ever got it...
In many ways the K-5 is a better camera than the venerable old-timer that is the D300s.

In the UK at least the D300s is 1040 and the K-5 is 640. Or almost 40% less, depending on how you want to look at it.

How much is the 'premium' where you live?

Choosing to change systems entirely because of a three week wait for a part, and then revising that decision because of the price 'premium' - and indeed, rejecting the offerings of the largest camera maker on the world based on your suppositions about their service department (which you might never need) suggests that you need to think about what is important to you from a camera system a little more carefully.

I was going to buy one of those new McClaren cars the other day, because mine isn't as fast as I'd like, but the price is too high. McClaren have lost my custom before they had it. I don't suppose they will see it that way though.

04-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I appreciate the comments, and I believe you are likely right about the quality. After a lot (months) of thought, its why I had settled on a K5. The issue with the D300s and long-term unavailability of a normally fairly-common part, spurred the timing of my decision. However, I am also realistic financially. I take care of two kids during much of the week, working part-time, and my wife's income is not that large --- if this pricing game is a sign of Ricoh's policies, it'd be unwise for me to join into the K5 gamut, as the lens choices I anticipated would be out of reach. For the garden and outdoor photos that I generally do, as part of a year-long project, especially in a rainy environment, it'd be ideal. However, what was doable a week ago, is now going out of reach. So, yes, I am diasappointed. I have no wish to buy a McLaren...the sturdy VW Beetle did very well for me for some years.
04-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
Kiwi Pentaxian

t'd be unwise for me to join into the K5 gamut, as the lens choices I anticipated would be out of reach
Hi TreeSpring,

I am buying most of my lenses secondhand in 'as new' condition from our equivalent of ebay. There is also the Pentax Forums Marketplace which has a good range of second hand lenses.

Here in NZ I have been able to get most lenses for about 50-60% of new price in pristine condition - bearing in mind our new prices are about the ones that every one is grumping about in the US now.

If you are prepared to be patient then you can build a lens set for very reasonable prices. It is one of the things that attracted me to Pentax.

Ross
04-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I appreciate the comments, and I believe you are likely right about the quality. After a lot (months) of thought, its why I had settled on a K5. The issue with the D300s and long-term unavailability of a normally fairly-common part, spurred the timing of my decision. However, I am also realistic financially. I take care of two kids during much of the week, working part-time, and my wife's income is not that large --- if this pricing game is a sign of Ricoh's policies, it'd be unwise for me to join into the K5 gamut, as the lens choices I anticipated would be out of reach. For the garden and outdoor photos that I generally do, as part of a year-long project, especially in a rainy environment, it'd be ideal. However, what was doable a week ago, is now going out of reach. So, yes, I am diasappointed. I have no wish to buy a McLaren...the sturdy VW Beetle did very well for me for some years.
So what is the price premium on the body?

As I say, the K-5 is significantly cheaper than the D300s in the UK.

You seem to be basing your decision on an assumption that Ricoh will regularly increase the price of items you will only need to buy once, if at all. And by 'increase price' I mean charge US customers the same as everyone else has always paid, obviously.
04-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-5 with kit weather sealed lenses are a good start for all-weather photography. Just a matter of knowing your budget and in what direction you want to go with your photography. I don't see Pentax disappearing any time soon but lens prices are bound to increase with time, and Pentax is still an affordable choice for higher-end photographic gear.

04-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

The Nikon is $400 more than a K-5 here in Vancouver. Apart from my first lens on the camera (18-135) I have bought my lenses used (most from the marketplace as NZ_Ross mentioned), at good prices, and with zero problems.