Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #1

Greetings from sunny Melbourne

Hello all
Ian here from freezing cold Melbourne Australia. I have just purchased a Pentax k5 camera and have noted that you can shoot at up to 51200 iso. however I can't seem to get beyond 12800 iso. Can anyone tell me how to increase the iso please? Much appreciated
Thanks
Ian

04-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! You'll need to go into the custom functions menu and enable the expanded ISO range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. that worked beautifully.
04-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll bet that info is in the manual!

04-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome fellow Melbournian... I agree with Adam
04-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
I see now that expanding the dynamic range is in fact in the manual on page 97. However, in my defence, could I point out that I wanted to know how to make the ISO increase to 51200 and didn't realise this was the same as expanding the dynamic range. Just a newb with this excellent camera, so not sure of the exact terminology.

Ok, now I have a bigger picture question that has been bugging me for some time. That is why do Pentax cameras not appear to be as popular as the ubiquitous Nikons or Canons? And is there any country where Pentax cameras are more popular than the Canons or Nikons? Certainly ffrom what I have observed in Australia, the Canons and Nikons rule.
04-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Gidday peggers from another Melbournian.
As to why there are so many Canon and Nikon users, well let me quote one J P Barham, there's a sucker born every minute. Putting this into a modern context equates to letting latge scale advertising affect your decision making when purchasing a product versus doing some good old fashioned research.
04-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

G'day and welcome peggers. Plenty of Aussies and Melbournians on this forum.

The Pentax brand was at least equal, if not higher profile than Canon and Nikon in days past. Unfortunately, they seem to have dropped the ball on the transition to digital in the initial stages of the technology and have been playing catch up recently. Part of the dilema seems to have been that falling revenue means smaller advertising budgets, which becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. A few years ago Pentax made some significant moves in the right direction with the advent of the K10,K20, K200, etc line which culminate with the K-5.

The fine instrument you have in your possession is, in my opinion, the best APSC camera one can buy, Canon and Nikon have advantages in some areas, but the K-5 is the best all round solution.

One needs to pay many multiples of what you paid for your K-5 to get any hugely significant advantage in AF speed, frame rate, dynamic range, etc. If you think of Canon and Nikon as the ford and Holden of the camera world, then Pentax is more like an Audi. Not as well known, but packed with class and features and great value for money.

04-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yes, I'm inclined to agree. it is a fantastic camera and was very good value for money. In the meantime, I am not new to Pentax despite being new to this forum. I go back to about 1981 when I purchased an ME Super, which incidentally still works perfectly. I then moved on to an MZ 50, which was ok having the distinct advantage of auto focus at a time when I had young children and pets all of whom would not sit still for long enough for me to focus on them.

I saw someone in Adelaide was anticipating trouble with taking their camera to Pentax in Adelaide for repair and thought it might be a good chance to sing the praises of Pentax in Melbourne. In Melbourne they operate under the company name of CR Kennedy. A while back my MZ 50 started to play up so I took it to the local camera shop where I was quoted $350 for repairs. I chose not to proceed and instead took the camera direct to Pentax, who diagnosed and fixed the problem for $60, a big difference.

I have always found them to be absolutely fantastic in Melbourne.

Before I got the K5 I had a 100D, It too was pretty good. But the k5 is great.
04-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

sorry for the history lesson peggers. Your question had me thinking you were new to the marque, there is no way of knowing the age and experience of someone new to these fora.

When I took a lens to CRK for repair (i dropped and broke my precious 50-135) they just sent it to Japan for repair. I didnt realise they had a repair department there in Sth Yarra. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW, I think Pentax SA is just a branch of CRK, as Kennedies are the Aust distributor of Pentax (and Sigma), so would taking a lens to CRK in Adelaide just see it sent to head office for repair? Dunno
04-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Welcome Ian. In answer to your question about where to find Pentax owners, I reckon Melbourne would have the highest concentration of Pentaxians in Australia, given the number of PentaxForums members based there.

ps. It's cold all up the East Coast too.

Regards
04-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
so would taking a lens to CRK in Adelaide just see it sent to head office for repair? Dunno
Yes. I took my K10D (when it was under warranty) in to CRK in Sydney and it went for a trip to Melbourne and back.
04-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Welcome all Aussies from Melbourne and elsewhere,
I miss Dandenong and Victoria a lot. Used to work at IHarvesterCo back in the early seventies.
Hope to visit someday again. But cold? Gimme a break, dear people Down Under !
Lars from Norway.