Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Old photog to new friends

To my new Pentax friends~

After a spell of messing with Canon and Nikon, I longed for a better way to use my real lenses.. In the ‘80s and ‘90s I bought a number of Adaptall II SP lenses; the crown jewel is...[drumroll...fanfare...] a 63B–yes, the vaunted 180/2.5, in near-mint condition. When digital took root I got lured away by stabilized lenses; just last week it dawned on me that the solution is to switch to Pentax, with stabilizer in body. This I am doing, and the Tamrons will have new life.

I bought a K200D which arrived yesterday. In my first look at the manual and some comments I have picked up on line I see two major concerns: something about stop-down metering, which I might live with in some conditions but not all. I need to know where auto-exposure works and where it doesn’t. Also, from what I have read I am not sure the stabilizer will function in some of the long exposures I get into. Hey, Mr. Pentax, it’s not rocket science: my Canon S5 IS stabilizes one-second exposures flawlessly if I take a drink first.

My quandary is that most of my photography is about A-minus level, and I am not sure it makes sense to keep an A-plus-plus-plus lens, the 63B, in my bag. Much will depend on what that lens is worth, since money is very tight here. I will not make a hasty decision, but if people are clamoring for it I probably will let it go. The 17/3.5, 24-48/3.8, 60-300/5.6, 80-200/2.8, 90/2.5, and 300/5.6 will keep me busy. If my eyes continue on their downward slope the whole bag will go on the block and I will go back to the S5 IS, that sees better than I do even now.

In the 1950s I bought a Retina IIIC and decided that photography is something to get serious about. An Exakta VX came next, and soon I was making tilt-shift mounts to adapt some lenses with a bit longer back focal length. Many 6x6,6x9, 9x12 and 4x5 outfits followed. I have had more fun than most sane people.

Blessings,

~Paul

Last edited by Melismus; 04-11-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: remove words that crept in
04-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Paul, glad to have you on board.
04-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Paul!
04-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the fold. I'm still using a K that I bought way back in the fifties, and now a Retina IIIc has joined the family.