Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #1

Let me introduce myself

Hello my name is John I am 61 I just joined Pentax forum I have A disappointing Pentax KX. I live in the US in Lansdale, PA I am looking forward to chatting with other members.

Last edited by jhc403; 04-19-2012 at 06:47 AM. Reason: correction of mistake
04-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, John. I too have a K-x - great camera. Are you upset about your name, or your age?
04-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums John
04-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Arn
Oooooooooooppppps my bad sorry that was supposed to say hello not what it said. I am ok with both. How do you like your KX? I have had a lot of problems with mine,once I got the firmware update it improved but it still is a disappointing camera. I have owned other Pentax cameras so from previous experience I know about Pentax and their excellent performance. So the KX was like the Harley I rode very disappointing.

04-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome now all I really got to do is learn how to manage the site and I will be good
04-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No problem - I only mentioned it because I had a good laugh, and I see you've found the "edit" button. Re the K-x, yes it has limitations, and I use my K-5 more often. I got my K-x for a back-up. The lack of a focus indicator bothered me until I decided to use my old manual lenses on it.
04-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum John,
I can see some people being disappointed in the KX, I was and returned it (I'd tried it as a backup for my K10) I ended up eventually with a K7
Seems the enthusiast cameras are what I need to be happy

04-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome eddie1960. My finding is the KX is for someone who just wants a camera to take pictures,being honest with you I am not so sure that I would buy another Pentax. Unfortunately all of my lenses and accessories are for Pentax,to start over again would be a major expense. Which I am not at all blowing off doing due to my disappointment of the KX. I would be extremely hesitant about buying another Pentax.
04-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jhc403 Quote
Thanks for the welcome eddie1960. My finding is the KX is for someone who just wants a camera to take pictures,being honest with you I am not so sure that I would buy another Pentax. Unfortunately all of my lenses and accessories are for Pentax,to start over again would be a major expense. Which I am not at all blowing off doing due to my disappointment of the KX. I would be extremely hesitant about buying another Pentax.
I think if you were to try a K7 or K5 (particularly a K5) you wouldn't feel that way. what i really disliked about the kx was lack of features (ie selectable focus points) and the less user friendly controls compared to the K10 (also the body never felt right in my hands)
The K7 addressed all my issues except high iso performance. the K5 ha addressed that (but I haven't bought one yet)

If you get a chance you should try one of the enthusiast bodies.
One good thing is the kx has held value pretty well because it has some hardcore fans (and there is no AA body any longer which is a must for some people apparently)
04-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #10

Original Poster
I guess I owe the K5 Or K7 at least a look over. Thanks for the info
04-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-x to K-5: no comparison. Just try one, and you'll be amazed. As Eddie said, the iso and controls are great, then there's the WR, weight and size. Plus all of the lenses work.