Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greetings From San Jose, CA

I'm new here, new to my Pentax and new to photography also. I've been fascinated by capturing images all of my life. Now, I hope to finally understand what I'm doing. I've had my Pentax K5 for less than a week, and I've posted the very first day out with her. Thanks for having me on board!
Peace,
WoodStockGranny

04-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums WoodStock! I am not that far from San Jose, CA, currently located in San Diego! Nice to know that people are starting to get more into Pentax <3 Welcome aboard
04-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Soyez le bienvenu ...

Bonjour,

Welcome to the club ... don't be shy, please post, and the K-5 is a great tool for creating images!

Salut, John le Frog
04-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
WSG
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you! I took it out today and failed miserably. But I'm the first to admit how new I am to the process. I'm going back out this afternoon and try again.

04-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
WSG
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you, I'm trying. Too much sun out today for my skill sets. Yep! I'm blaming it on the sun. )
04-21-2012, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WSG Quote
Thank you, I'm trying. Too much sun out today for my skill sets. Yep! I'm blaming it on the sun. )
Re-Bonjour,

The K-5 is a lot of DSLR to master and would be a daunting learning curve ... take you time and advance at your own pace.

There's a decent book you might want to look at ... The "Magic Lantern Guides - Pentax K-7 - Peter Burian" ... it's obviously for the K-7, which I had before my K-5, yet +90% of this book is accurate for the K-5, IMHO. They are the same bodies and basic functionalities ... and you could find a used one cheap on flea-bay, Amazon, etc.

Allez et bon courage, John le Frog
04-22-2012, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #7

Welcome. I am a died-in-the-wool, born and raised Bay Area native. I moved up to the Sierra Foothills a few years back to have a horse property. My first outing with my DSLR wasn't that great either, but it didn't take long for me to start having lots of fun. You have a really nice camera . I got the K-r and am now hooked on the Pentax system. Do yourself a favor and take that mighty camera of yours up to Fort Point and capture some images of the Golden Gate with your 18-55mm kit lens (if you got this one with it). It's a good lens for the bridge.

Last edited by Drom; 04-22-2012 at 01:54 PM.
04-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
WSG
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi,
Yep! I plan to visit the GG Bridge again with my Penny! (That's my cameras name) I didn't get the lens you mentioned, I brought it body only and rented some prime lenses. I did buy two wonderful used lenses from eBay. A 35-85mm and a 50mm, cheap but excellent condition. Yesterday I photographed my first bee! I simply LOVE this camera and can't wait to really learn it's magic. Please enjoy yesterday's shoot.
Attached Images

04-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well... At least the Redwings did not advance either.

Welcome to your new home.
04-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by WSG Quote
Hi,
Yep! I plan to visit the GG Bridge again with my Penny! (That's my cameras name) I didn't get the lens you mentioned, I brought it body only and rented some prime lenses. I did buy two wonderful used lenses from eBay. A 35-85mm and a 50mm, cheap but excellent condition. Yesterday I photographed my first bee! I simply LOVE this camera and can't wait to really learn it's magic. Please enjoy yesterday's shoot.
!

Wow-you're off to a great start with Penny love those pictures. That K-5 is such a wonderful camera. Looking forward to seeing some bridge pics!!
04-25-2012, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
another San Jose native, here. welcome. the south bay is a special place. here's a shot I took recently looking towards coyote valley from Coe. k-7 + kit lens.
04-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
another San Jose native, here. welcome. the south bay is a special place. here's a shot I took recently looking towards coyote valley from Coe. k-7 + kit lens.

Nice image ChatMerchant! Love they way you captured the beams of light peeking through the clouds
04-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #13
WSG
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Groovy!!!

Hi ChatMerchant!
WOW! What a gorgeous shot! I'm some what new to Silicon Valley and am looking for a spot to record sunrise and sunsets. I want both stills and timelapse, can you suggest any good spots for this? If so, please send me screen-shots of the places on Google maps. We are happy to share our juicy finds as well, starting with The Black Chasm Cave in Volcano Ca. It's well lit for low light photography, so just take your Penny and have fun. You'll see some spectacular scenery on the way as well. Here an interesting tree truck shoot on my college campus.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo