Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #16

Canon's Weight Issue

QuoteOriginally posted by RFR Quote
If you have every lugged around a 1Ds with L Series glass you'll know why. Canon is far far more expensive than anything Pentax has to offer and it weighs a ton. The K-5 is tiny in comparison and so are the lenses. My first camera was Spotmatic F and I loved the M42 lenses. Keen to use them again and some of the old Russian and CZJ lenses too.
I'm currently on the fence about switching. I have a 5D with a few large pieces of glass that I'm using less and less due to their size and weight. I'm giving the K-5 and a few limited lenses a test drive this weekend. The K-5 and three Limited lenses should weigh in at less than half of my Canon kit. As an avid traveler, the difference in weight is pretty dramatic.

04-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
RFR

Original Poster
Thanks Mickey. I must admit that I only used Canon in the digital era. Prior to that it was Contax and Hasselblad. I'm a big fan of Zeiss lenses. In my teens it was Nikon and Pentax. Funny how life can bring you full circle someitmes!
04-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

If you have every lugged around a 1Ds with L Series glass you'll know why. Canon is far far more expensive than anything Pentax has to offer and it weighs a ton. The K-5 is tiny in comparison and so are the lenses. My first camera was Spotmatic F and I loved the M42 lenses. Keen to use them again and some of the old Russian and CZJ lenses too.
Ah, from Australia! Glad to hear that lens prices are not affected down there.

No, I have never carried around 1ds, but I lug around 645d, and don't bother me that much. I just recently took it all the way to Czech republic from the states . . .

But yes I can see that going small has its benefits too.
04-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For those of you who use the old M42 screw lenses which of all the lenes available is your favorite? You can only suggest one.
Welcome to the forum, hope you like it, it's a good forum.

This is an impossible question to answer, favorite for what type of shooting. If there is a bad lens in the Takumar series I have yet to find one out of about 16 lens in 10 focal lengths from 28 thru 300mm. The 85mm 1.8 is one of the expensive ones and a great lens, the 35mm 3.5 is a great sharp lens and cheap as chips. Get the genuine OEM Pentax M42 to K adapter few seem able to make them correctly.