Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

New Member: in Darwin Australia

Hello all,
I found this site and forum while researching Lenses.
I like the idea of the regular comp, I am a regular entrant in the Gizmodo Shooting Challenge, nice to have another forum to post to.
My first SLR Camera was Pentax ME-F, a fine performer for the price and age. The body wore out and I replaced it with a Ricoh KR-5III as that used the Pentax K Mount.
I held off buying a DSLR until they became more affordable. My current body is a Pentax K200D. I am very happy with the camera and the competitions are pushing me to make the most of it.
I still have all of my original lenses, an eclectic mix including the original Pentax K Mount f/1.7 50mm a Vivitar 1:2.7 Macro 500mm mirror lens and a range of medium and short zooms.
I have stuck with Pentax as i can still use all of those old lenses on the 200D. I don't mind that I have to manually set Apertures and focus and Zoom on the older lenses.
I am a bit of a nomad and currently live in Darwin Australia. I suspect another move is coming up soon.
Photography is for me recording travel experiences and I have a current desire to improve my landscape skills.

I saw this site as I was researching landscape Lenses. I would like a prime lens rather than relying on a Zoom. My current 28mm lens is more equivalent to 42mm on the Digital body. If any one has some ideas I would be happy to hear them. I am a mid range price person - not bottom end, not top end. I was reading reviews for 14mm lenses.

Also I have been thinking about the newer bridge cameras or four thirds to be used for traveling. I am not wanting to win the Pulitzer Prize, so a more compact camera has it's attractions for convenience.

that just about covers me.

04-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard!

Ah, wide primes. There's the budget Samyang 14/2.8, the not-cheap DA14/2.8, the smaller DA15/4, and (for something totally different) the budget and slightly fishy Zenitar 16/2.8 (angle-of-view is equivalent to 12mm). Are also a few legacy 15mm primes (not cheap); alas, I'm not familiar with those.

But wide primes are relatively rare. Most of us working that neighborhood use zooms. The Sigma 8-16 and both 10-20's are well loved -- once a user gets a good copy. The DA12-24 is also loved, but not cheap. I got to choose from amongst the UWA zoom offerings last year and I picked the Tamron 10-24, for reasons of range, price, warranty, and QC. Another slightly longer option is the DA16-50.

One budget landscape option is stitching. Use a 28mm in portrait aspect to shoot a series, then stitch them together into a pano. Landscapes tend not to jump around a lot (except in seismic areas) so AF and f/1.2 and 10mm aren't really necessary. A tripod is more essential.

Sea- and sky-scapes aren't so static, so I use various single lenses for them: the Tamron 10-24 or even the DA10-17 fisheye at times, or the Tokina-made 21/3.8 (branded as Vivitar, Soligor, Lentar, etc), or my newly-acquired Cosina-made Vivitar Series 1 19-35. The DA*21/3.2 is tempting...

For a smaller camera, there's the new K-01, which can use all your legacy lenses, or a Sony NEX, which can take almost anything. (That's dangerous for we lens addicts.) Be aware that m4/3 or other small-sensor cameras are NOT great for wide vistas.

Have fun!
04-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks RioRico your information was very useful.
I will look at those short zooms that you mentioned instead of the prime lens. I had not considered them until now. I like your suggestion of the Tamron. I have a Tamron long zoom whhich takes lovely shots. It is huge and bulky however. Mount the lens on the tripod and the camera to the lens.

I have only just found out how easy pano is. I experimented on a nearby beach with my 50mm and 28mm lenses and was totally surprised how easy the software is to use and how good it is at finding matching reference points. It also seemed to adjust the levels so that I could not see any light or colour differences. I used Hugin to do the stitching. So that is a very good option for landscapes. Thanks for that tip.

I take your points on the small-sensor cameras. That's part of the deliberation. My main driver is something more easy to carry than a DSLR with a stack of lenses, but a little more capable than a "point and shoot". Only for OS travel where I don't want to carry around a lot of expensive items for the thieves to help themselves to and to look discrete when taking pics. It's just a thought at the moment.

Any way I hope to start entering the comps and increasing my skills.

bye for now.