Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

Be Gentle, I'm New

Just got sucked into the wacky labyrinthine world of DSLR photography after feeling more frustrated than usual with my "prosumer" camera. When I start looking at the A495 like it's a toy to be abused, I know it's time to take the bait (from a friend who's been dangling it since Sept 2011).

May be the proud owner of a K200D soon...fingers crossed.

cheers all~!

04-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you on board.
04-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! We're always gentle here -- except in the NEWS+RUMORS and POLITICS+RELIGION areas, which can be brutal.

Yes, you'll find your new K200D to be lightyears ahead of any bridge P&S. You'll also suffer much n00b angst because a dSLR does NOT perform the same. Images won't seem as sharp; DOF will seem much too thin; focus can be a challenge; colors won't be as vibrant nor contrasty; etc. The reasons:
  • Small-frame cameras like P&S's use short lenses with immensely thick DOF, so everything seems sharp. For similar sharpness with a dSLR, change lenses and learn techniques.
  • Focusing requires more care, even with good AF systems. Many of us use manual focus because we can better control the focus. That's what dSLRs provide and demand: control.
  • P&S makers set their cameras to produce unnaturally bright-vivid-contrasty images. You can get the same with a dSLR -- you just need to adjust the factory settings somewhat.
When I moved from an advanced P&S, I asked myself, "What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have?" My answers were superwide, superlong, and superfast. So the lenses I started with were a fisheye zoom, a superzoom, and a very fast prime. And 232 more lenses later, those are still my most-used, along with a non-fisheye ultrawide.

Later buys involved macros and other specialties, then more fast lenses, then more of just about everything. But I'm a cheap bastard so most of those are old manual lenses, great bang-for-the-buck. Hang around here, and we'll get you well infected with LBA (lens-buying addiction adrenaline). Ya can't never have too many lenses, eh?

Have fun!

NOTE: We love abbreviations etc here. LBA, FOV, CIF, AF/MF, FF/BF -- and DOF, which means Depth Of Field. That's the distance from the camera where image elements are acceptably sharp. We talk about DOF a lot here. Much of learning photography involves learning the jargon. Think of these forums as an extended language seminar.

Last edited by RioRico; 04-24-2012 at 10:22 PM.
04-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks eaglem!

@RioRico: Thanks for the assurance. I'm hoping that I won't succumb to LBA(ddiction) just yet. Although...I already have several types of lenses in mind to maybe get after I've played with the kit 18-55mm. It is not a good sign for my bank account. After lurking in the forums for awhile, I'm starting to think SLR photography lingo is a separate language of its own...something along the lines of Klingon or Elvish. But...guess I'll learn soon enough...

04-24-2012, 11:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots to get involved in here. It's a pretty benign environment, most of the time. Enjoy your time and stick to the basics of gear until you know exactly what you want.