Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2012, 04:49 AM   #1

Hello from a new Pentaxian

Hi all

I have been lurking on this and other forums for nearly a year now doing research on my first DSLR purchase. My first SLR was a Minolta SR-7 I inherited from my grandfather. Loved this camera to bits (literally). Then I had a entry-level Cannon EOS something (film) that I didn't really like. Most recently I have been taking photographs with a Cannon G10. This is a great little camera.

Today I made the decision to buy a K5 body and a smc DA 35mm F2.4 lens. My thinking here is that the K5 is an excellent body at an unbeatable price -especially now that they have been around a couple of years. This is a no-brainer!

The lens decision was a little more tricky. I love what I have read about the Pentax lens system. I want to go down the road of collecting the primes but I don't have the money to do it all at once. The choice for me was to get the body with the kit zoom (not bad by any stretch) or to pay a little more and get the body and the "cheapy" prime. I have gone for the prime. Looking forward to "learning" that lens and then moving on as the need (and the funds) arise. On my old Minolta, 99% of the time I used the 50mm f1.2 Rokkor so maybe I'll never get any further!

A huge thank you to everyone who posts on this forum. Your words, reviews and photographs have been invaluable.

jb

04-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jeble and welcome to the Forums.

You've been obviously looking around a great deal, so you'll be aware of the level and quality of the advice and support you can get here. You've also clearly made a considered decision about your body and lens starters, so I don't think you'll be disappointed in them. The Pentax primes are great instruments - I have all three of the FA Limiteds and one DA Limited (the 15), but I've also a collection of older FA* lenses and Takumars too. As you grow your lens collection to suit your requirements, don't neglect considering the older lenses, even the manual focus ones.

Enjoy your time here, and your new Pentax gear!

Rob

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 04-30-2012 at 02:29 PM.
04-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeble Quote
Hi all

I have been lurking on this and other forums for nearly a year now doing research on my first DSLR purchase. My first SLR was a Minolta SR-7 I inherited from my grandfather. Loved this camera to bits (literally). Then I had a entry-level Cannon EOS something (film) that I didn't really like. Most recently I have been taking photographs with a Cannon G10. This is a great little camera.

Today I made the decision to buy a K5 body and a smc DA 35mm F2.4 lens. My thinking here is that the K5 is an excellent body at an unbeatable price -especially now that they have been around a couple of years. This is a no-brainer!

The lens decision was a little more tricky. I love what I have read about the Pentax lens system. I want to go down the road of collecting the primes but I don't have the money to do it all at once. The choice for me was to get the body with the kit zoom (not bad by any stretch) or to pay a little more and get the body and the "cheapy" prime. I have gone for the prime. Looking forward to "learning" that lens and then moving on as the need (and the funds) arise. On my old Minolta, 99% of the time I used the 50mm f1.2 Rokkor so maybe I'll never get any further!

A huge thank you to everyone who posts on this forum. Your words, reviews and photographs have been invaluable.

jb
Welcome Jeble! Congratulations on your k-5 purchase
04-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to see you here, I hope you saw my thread, with my K-5 35 2.4 combo, just after I got the lens. It's a great lens for the money. The old 50 1.8s were a little faster, but sensor sensitivity more than makes up for it. I never shot film faster than 400 iso, I have no problem shooting 800 ISO in doors with my K-5. In fact if there's one thing I'd recommend, it would be, in low light set your user mode to TAV, set your shutter to 1/30 and your f-stop from f2.4 to f-5.6, and let the camera select the ISO. It's a great feature, and one that would be impossible to do on a film camera. It took me long time to clue in.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/182030-nature-introducin...35-f2-4-a.html

« K-x owner | Heloooo »