Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #1

Abandon Nikon all ye who enter here...

Firstly, a big hello to all of you out there (or is it in here?).

Having been a Nikon devotee for many, many years, I recently (just two short weeks ago, in point of fact) made the surprisigly easy decision to sell my Nikon kit and move to Pentax. My decision was based on hours of inernet research and bugging the guys at my local Jacobs and Jessops stores every other day, trying out various contenders. In the end the choice seemed an obvious one, the K5. I am immensely happy with it, I've gone completely back to basics, only two lenses, the 18 - 55 wr kit and a cheap and cheerful 50 - 200 wr, which I picked up for 149 quid :0) but I can honestly say that the difference compared to my (previously) beloved D90, even with fairly budget level glass attached, is spectacular. My wife has also traded in her D300 in favour of the K5 and is similarly pleased. The availability of legacy lenses is fantastic, already got my eye on some super tele numbers in my local used dealership and although purchases will have to wait, as I made about a third of what I was hoping for on my Nikon kit, fun times and many astrophotographic adventure await. I also love the fact that there appears to be way less gear/brand snobbery in Pentax world.

This will be the first of many posts, of to Mount Teide on Tenerife shortly for a photog holiday, will be posting some of the beter results on my return.

All the best to one and all.

05-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board.
05-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Dark Side.
05-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dimninja Quote
I also love the fact that there appears to be way less gear/brand snobbery in Pentax world.
I try not to be snobbery about my anti-snobbery.

Welcome aboard!

05-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The availability of legacy lenses is fantastic, already got my eye on some super tele numbers in my local used dealership and although purchases will have to wait, as I made about a third of what I was hoping for on my Nikon kit, fun times and many astrophotographic adventure await.
We do have an astrophotography group here. Pop in and say hi at some time.
Astrophotography - PentaxForums.com
05-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter

The availability of legacy lenses is fantastic, already got my eye on some super tele numbers in my local used dealership
Welcome aboard, the old glass is fun, you play with one for a while and sell it, usually for the same or more. I just snagged a little Kiron 28/2 this weekend that I'm looking forward too, but tomorrrow, little birds and the DA55-300! I hope you have a ball on holiday!
05-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Emperor and Senpai

Welcome! I think one of my sharpest lenses for close up stuff is over 30 years old and cost only 20 bucks.