Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello from the new guy.

My name is Dewey (Dewman) and I live in Nampa, Idaho. I'm a 66-year old retired construction project manager. I was a Navy photographer back in the Vietnam era. I went to PH "A" school in Pensacola for my photography training and have always maintained an interest in photography even though it wasn't my vocation.

I found this site while looking for reviews on some Pentax (Takumar) lenses I was contemplating buying off eBay and was very impressed with the format and the endless information available here.

When digital cameras came out, I basically put away my ME Super and went strictly digital. I love the editing potential, having a high end Photoshop program among other graphic arts programs. However, digital photography just seemed to leave me wanting, if you know what I mean. So, I decided to get the old film camera back out and....well....one thing led to another and I found myself, with Visa card in hand, sitting in front of my monitor and looking at all the neat stuff on eBay.

I've made a few purchases so far. Some good, some OK and some questionable.

Anyway, didn't mean to be so windy. I'm looking forward to asking some questions and getting back into the swing of REAL film photography. I live in a state that has some gorgeous photo ops.

05-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! If you're looking to buy some Takumars, you'll probably also find dozens listed here as well:

The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums
I still shoot a lot of film. I get it scanned then load it on my computer then edit as needed.Then I can print the ones I want. It works great. I get the best of both worlds
05-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome aboard Dewman, Looking at your avatar, you were in SE Asia. Squadron or on the ground? We have another member here who was a Navy combat photographer, hillerby is his member name. The thread is: Combat photographer tells all, A rather long read but very interesting.....Cliff

05-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Welcome aboard Dewman, Looking at your avatar, you were in SE Asia. Squadron or on the ground? We have another member here who was a Navy combat photographer, hillerby is his member name. The thread is: Combat photographer tells all, A rather long read but very interesting.....Cliff
I was a member of VP-31, a patrol squadron assigned to the USS Ticonderoga (CVA-14). A grand old ship of WWII vintage, she still had a wooden flight deck. She survived two direct hits during a kamikaze attack in January of 1944. A valiant ship with a wonderful history. She, her crew and captain did themselves proud. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ticonderoga_(CV-14) Here's an old B&W photo I shot while in a helicopter on loiter duty during unreps in January of '67. What I'd give to go back and do it all over again. Such high adventure for a 20-year old!

05-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

68-69 USS Intrepid assigned to VFP 63 and 74-77 USS Midway assigned to VA115. I was assigned to a beach detachment during the evacuation of Siagon. I have mixed feeling about that as I missed an historical event, on the other hand I also missed the chaos surrounding the events on the ship. But then, such is life.......Cliff