Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello :)

Hi everyone,

I've been a long-time lurker on these forums (since before I decieded I wanted a Pentax, which was about a year ago) A lot of the images and reviews on this website convinced me to get a Pentax, and I've not been disappointed.

I mainly shoot birds and wildlife, thanks to my trusty FA 80-320 I picked up for cheap on craigslist, although I've just started getting into macro (I'm currently semi-seriously scoping out a decent macro lens that my wife won't kill me for buying)

05-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

Have you considered the Tamron 90mm?
Tamron 90mm Macro vs Pentax 100mm WR: Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Salut!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome aboard!

Have you considered the Tamron 90mm?
Tamron 90mm Macro vs Pentax 100mm WR: Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Bonjour,

Adam's advice is good ... I had a Tamron 90mm before I sold it for a D FA 100 Macro WR. The Pentax is better on many fronts ... read the article plus the PF user reviews for both lenses. Yes, the 100 (which is a "Limited" w/out that badge) is more expensive, especially in the US after the regrettable price increases, but for my needs (size, rendering, WR, +) and IMHO the Pentax is (still) worth the additional investment ... assuming your "better half" won't kill you due to the price delta involvled! Decisions, decisions ...

Allez et bon courage, John le Frog
05-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Actually, the Tamron 90mm is one of the lenses I was looking at From what I've seen, it seems like a great lens. The Pentax is quite a bit out of my price range, though. I've also been considering some of the older macro lenses like the Vivitar 55mm or 90mm f2.8, which seem well reviewed on this site. I figure that I won't be using much auto focus shooting macro anyway.

05-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

MF Macro Lenses ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Stoogie Quote
Actually, the Tamron 90mm is one of the lenses I was looking at From what I've seen, it seems like a great lens. The Pentax is quite a bit out of my price range, though. I've also been considering some of the older macro lenses like the Vivitar 55mm or 90mm f2.8, which seem well reviewed on this site. I figure that I won't be using much auto focus shooting macro anyway.
Bonjour Stoogie,

Yes, there are some "real macro" enthusiasts who swear by MF and would not get caught dead in an AF mode. I like to have both, and yes again, the Pentax 100 is very pricey, especially now after the hikes.

An older MF macro and/or "close focus" lens (like a Pentax M 100 f4 Marco - which is only 1:2 in reality) would be a better starting point if the budget is a constraint, like it is for 99% of us. I have just acquired this one, but I need to get a set of extension tubes for it.

The Tamron 90 is a super value for an AF, without a question. Good luck in your hunt and keep us posted on your progress ... that is to speak, post some macro photos once you're equipped!

Allez et bon courage, John le Frog

PS - There's also a Macro social group on PF ...