Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #1

Just bought a K-5 so I though it would be a good time to join the forum!

Hello guys,

I though I'd join the forum since it really helped me to make up my mind on which camera I would be ordering.I've been looking to buy a DSLR camera for a few months. I've been taking many pictures since our baby girl birth and the small Nikon I had for a couple of years really started to piss me off so I decided to get a good camera.

To give you an idea here is how my shopping trend went :

Canon T3I ---> Nikon D90 ---> Nikon D5100 ---> Canon 60D ---> Nikon D7000 ---> Pentax K-5

Now I can't want to receive it and start shooting!

05-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello Phil,

Welcome, I only have a K-r, (I hope a K-5 will be my next) I think you made a good choice wih the K-5, you will enjoy the forum as well, the people here are great, and very helpful. I love my Pentax, and all the lens.

cheers
Jeanette
05-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and more importantly, Welcome to the K-5 Club.
05-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good decisions so far. You can learn more here at the forum about using your K-5 than anyplace else in the world. Now get out there and post some shots!

05-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilV Quote
I've been looking to buy a DSLR camera for a few months. I've been taking many pictures since our baby girl birth and the small Nikon I had for a couple of years really started to piss me off so I decided to get a good camera.
Assuming that you are new to DSLR from the above. Reading this book may help you. It helped me b.c initially I did not notice that big a difference in my pics vs the small camera:
Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 9780817439392: Amazon.com: Books

Best of luck!
05-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome.
From the cameras you've owned, it looks like you've been running two systems for a while.
Might I ask what problems you had with Canon/Nikon?

I used a Canon EOS 50e for years (couldn't quite afford a Pentax Mz-5 at the time, but wanted it) before moving to Pentax when I went digital.
Nothing really wrong with the Canon models, it's just that I preferred the solid-feel, shape, and menu layout of the Pentax(K10/K200) models.
The in-body SR was also attractive.
05-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the warm welcome.

I only owned a small compact digital Nikon, the "path" I posted is the camera I looked at before buying a K-5. I just ended up buying the camera that deliver the best photos and will allow me to learn a lot without hitting the limits for the camera.

I just can't wait to have it
05-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

PhilV,
I followed practically the same selection process - probably even looked at the same reviews and such. I just got my K- 5 Wednesday! You did well!