Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #1

Greetings from Malaysia

Hi people,

I recently bought my K5 two months ago. I have been reading through the forum but have only registered today. After the purchase, I have been wanting to take photography seriously. I am planning to take photography from the basics. I have seen many fantastic photos taken with the K5, I wish one day I can do the same.

My questions are:
1) I do not want to start buying camera accessories irrationally. I have been having the urge to collect the FA trio. So I need to calm down. What are the pros opinion on this? What should be the basic gear I need to get before plunging into lenses.
2) I am using Aperture for post processing. Although I have been making basic image adjustments such as crop, straightening, brightness, exposure, and etc. I still do not know what are the proper steps I should take. I would like to make more out of Aperture.
3) I have recently bought a camera strap, Custom SLR C loop. It has been serving me well. What can I go for next? perhaps a bag, tripod, GPS or flash? Atm I am having the basic dual kit lens, 15mm - 50mm, 50mm-200mm.
4) No matter how I shoot, I find no satisfactory in the pictures I take. It's not up to my expectations, I really can't wait to take amazing photos like you guys. I was told that gear and lenses are not everything. Even with the basic dual kit lens, I can take wonderful pictures. How do I make most of my dual kit lens?
5) I shoot in RAW -> Edit -> Export to JPEG 300 dpi 2048 -> Delete RAQ -> Keep JPEGS. I know that RAW files should be taken with no settings. What about color options in the camera? How do I set my photos to take sharp images.

Sry if I have bombarded with loads of questions. There are plenty more. I have no idea where to get my questions answered.

Looking forward to your reply.

- Chris J. Ham

05-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great to have another Malaysian; welcome to the Pentax Commonwealth! I wouldn't presume to advise you on the technical questions you ask about equipment. As a learning amateur myself, I would only suggest that you give yourself time. Take 3,000 photos before you buy any more equipment; maybe that should be 5,000! It doesn't really matter, just take a lot of pictures. As you go along you will find yourself gradually doing more thinking about each shot and they will get better. Post your best shots here, particularly on the Photos Critique Forum, and let people offer suggestions. I will look forward to seeing some of your work soon.