Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Finally, K-5 purchased following much thinking on K-5, K-30 or (should I change to Canikon;-)
So, bit the bullet as K-5 is probably as cheap as I will be able to get it and, if a new model is turned out in September (or whenever) it will probably be waaaayyyy outside my budget.

So now starts the wait for the mail-man. Woo-hoo - This is more fun than Christmas!
Congrats on your new toy. You'll have a ball!

08-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Chaos
K-5 arrived in good order from Adorama. Very, very pleased thus far!
04-04-2019, 03:10 PM - 11 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll take the opportunity to revive an old thread, my first thread on this forum. (And, indeed my first thread on any forum!)

Somewhere during the last few days, I seem to have posted my 10,000th post on Pentax Forums. 10,000 posts in very nearly 7 years. Nearly 4 posts a day. How did that happen?
Anyway, thank you for the advice, the camaraderie and the support of this community.

I'd like to thank the staff of Pentax Forums, Adam, and the moderating team for their work in keeping this forum the wonderful resource that it is.
Above all, thank you all you wonderful Pentax shooters for taking this journey with me.
04-04-2019, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my first thread on this forum
I had to chuckle reading your anxiety over moving from film to digital. I guess it depends on why you do photography, if you get off on submersing canisters and sheets of paper into strange liquids in dark rooms barely illuminated by a single paltry red light bulb, film is still the way to go; but if you like instant gratification from a mild application of your mental facilties, the unlimited free processing of digital photography is way too addictive

04-05-2019, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still using your K5, Mark?

I'm carrying mine as part of a 2-camera setup now. It sports the DA300mm while the K3II has the FA100. Yeah, it would be nice to have a bit more cropping capacity but the K5 just keeps performing.
04-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I had to chuckle reading your anxiety over moving from film to digital. I guess it depends on why you do photography, if you get off on submersing canisters and sheets of paper into strange liquids in dark rooms barely illuminated by a single paltry red light bulb, film is still the way to go; but if you like instant gratification from a mild application of your mental facilties, the unlimited free processing of digital photography is way too addictive
Yes, I was a late convert to digital. The K-1 certainly has me enjoying photography as much as in days gone by.
And, now I've started buying negative developing canisters again...
04-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Still using your K5, Mark?

I'm carrying mine as part of a 2-camera setup now. It sports the DA300mm while the K3II has the FA100. Yeah, it would be nice to have a bit more cropping capacity but the K5 just keeps performing.
Terry, I passed it on to my daughter who is a fashion design student. Although, she did loan it back to me last weekend as a backup camera for the mountaintop wedding I shot last Saturday.
I still love the K5, it's a marvelous camera. But, with the K-1, it's just not getting any use, so good thing Annabelle can get use from it now.

04-06-2019, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #23
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome mate.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
04-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Welcome mate.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Hahaha Thanks Peter!
04-06-2019, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems as though you've fallen on your feet, no question. Digital has been good to you, based on the wedding photos...
04-06-2019, 08:23 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Seems as though you've fallen on your feet, no question. Digital has been good to you, based on the wedding photos...
Thank you! The K-1II is very forgiving for an average photographer like me.
04-07-2019, 05:28 AM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I did laugh when I read your opening gambit... so how do yer think you've done so far then?
04-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I did laugh when I read your opening gambit... so how do yer think you've done so far then?
Still playing records and using valve amplifiers!

But yes, I recon digital photography has been good for me and my photographic skills. I've learnt a lot from everyone on PentaxForums.
04-08-2019, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Hi Everyone
Yes, you have read right!
I still shoot a Pentax SFX and a Pentax SFXn, both film cameras from the 1980's (if I remember right) with, as backup, a Z10.

I have, however, come to the realisation that everyone, my wife included, thinks I'm mad and (especially my wife) thinks I waste a hell of a lot of money on film and processing.

My problem is that I like to shoot crisply focused landscapes and other stills and I like to print those up to a metre wide, so I have felt (rightly or wrongly) that I'm best to stick to my film to do that. I have a good collection of (Pentax) lenses, both fixed focal and zoom, both auto-focus and manual and some really nice lenses for close-up work too. Basically, for those big prints, I've been worried (perhaps wrongly) that a K-5 will not neccesarily give me the same or better quality photos when printed that large.

So, having waited throught the K-100 and K-200; having been sorely tempted to buy a K-7 and having drooled over the K-5 for the last year, it seems life and family commitments will soon conspire to not eat all available funds and I should be able to afford to buy a K-5, should I decide to, very shortly, perhaps within the next month or two or three without breaking the bank.

So, time for questions which I hope other members can help me with:
  1. Will the K-5 live up to my expectations of wanting to print large, well focused prints? (And no pixels showing?)
  2. How far off is the replacement of the K-5 likely to be?
  3. Do I buy now (next 1-3 months) or do I wait to see what's released next?
  4. I do like the idea of the K-5 with battery grip for extra shooting time. (Remembering that a battery currently lasts me around 15-25 rolls of film, so 900 photos at most!)
  5. The ongoing speculation about changes from 16mp to 24mp and fullframe or not (and me having lots of nice full frame glass!) is causing me sleepless nights. (Not really, but I do trawl these pages looking for answers.)
  6. Most importantly though: How big can I print a good, well focused photo shot with a K5 and not see bloody pixels!?!?
Lastly, may I add that I am still listening to vinyl which undoubtably is far superior to CD and valve amplifiers seem to sound better than solid state, so I an still somewhat dubious about this digital business although, at some point, I suppose I'll have to admit that digital photography may be the one digital thing other than my smartphone that I could learn to like!

Kind regards,
Mark Jerling
I'm with you on the vinyl! Welcome to the forum!
04-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
I'm with you on the vinyl! !
Second that.