Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #1

Hello from Atlanta, Georgia!

Hello,

I just got a K-5 this week, my first new SLR in 24 years. Now I'm having to re-teach myself how to use it properly, but it's a fun journey, and a little cheaper since I'm not blowing through rolls of film.

Regards,

David

06-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the K-5 Club.
06-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! Was your film work with Pentax cams? So, do you have a stock of old Pentax lenses? Like to talk about them?

Shifting from film to digital is quite an experience. Partly, it's revisualizing what each lens does on the smaller frame -- although 135/FF (half-frame) experience is a good lead-in. (I still miss my old Olympus Pen-FT.) Partly, it's re-mapping concepts of camera controls. Digital filters and WB settings, not optical filters; on-camera control of ASA/ISO, resolution, contrast, sharpness, saturation, etc; programmability of certain controls and functions. But the biggie is something else...

Awhile back we had a thread asking our thoughts on the most significant developments in the history of photography. My answer: LCD screen. Chimping. Instant review of shots. IMHO this has had the greatest impact on how we shoot. Being able to see NOW whether we need to adjust and re-shoot, rather than waiting for film development. Film is so much more of a crapshoot than digital.

If you've been shooting digital P&S cams, you know all this, and I'm preaching to the choir. I'll shut up now. Have fun!
06-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Hey from Athens, GA.

Rodney...

06-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
This is my first Pentax. My old film camera was a Minolta 35mm that I bought in Germany at the PX when I was stationed in Karlsruhe, 1990. After reading reviews of DSLR books online, I ended up choosing the one that the bookstore here actually had, Digital SLR Photography All-in-one for Dummies, which is actually a decent book. There definitely are a lot of differences between film and digital photography, but I'm really psyched to get back into it.