Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Malaysia

I'm on going to close a deal for a K200D and now try to find out more about this baby.

I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Love photography for a long long time ever since in still boy. But I can't afford one cos I'm from a low income family and camera is like a luxury toy for me.

I been shooting with point and shot and also camera phone, now I want to get my hand on a DSLR.

Found this baby in a local photography forum for a very good price, well at least it fit my budget hahaha...

Looking forward to tale lots of photo with K200D

Cheers

Patrick Lui

Last edited by Parallax; 06-12-2012 at 09:25 AM.
06-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums! Yes, digital photography can be expensive -- but not necessarily. Many of us here like to find and use low-cost lenses and accessories. The latest autofocus zoom is nice but not mandatory. I do a lot of shooting with US$5 enlarger lenses set in a US$25 bellows and/or US$5 macro tube sets. Older manual-focus camera lenses can be real bargains. We need not be rich in order to shoot.

Have fun!
06-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks RioRico for the welcome reply.

Tonight is the night that I will get my first DSLR. Happy happy hshhahahha...

I think I will stick with the kit lense for now and safe money for a 50mm lense as i like to shoot street and to me i think 50mm are close to eye viewing.
06-12-2012, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

The kit lens is an excellent place to start. After you have used it awhile, look at the pictures you've shot, and note what focal lengths you used. There is free software available that will tabulate that data for you. This could help you decide on a prime lens. If you find that you shoot a lot at 25mm or 35mm or 45mm or 55mm, one of those might be the lens to go for next. Also, in time, ask yourself: What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have?

About street shooting: Various people take different approaches. Some prefer a Fast Fifty like the M50/1.7 or Helios-44 58/2. These are short telephotos. Some like to shoot at 35mm, which is "long-normal". The 'normal' focal length for our dSLRs is around 28mm-31mm. Some like a bit wider, around 21mm-24mm. We all have different styles and preferences. Again, working with your kit lens will give you a feel of what works best for you.

06-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the tips, very usefull and i should follow that. mind tell me what software you mention about?

I like bokeh hahahaha...

street photography more like art and documentary to me so i guess there's no rite or wrong hahaha....well as you said i should work with the kit lense to find out what really work for me.
06-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm pretty boke myself -- as in hazy and senile -- and I forget the name of the software. It might be ExifTool but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else here will help. Help! Help!
06-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #7

Original Poster
hmmm...i use lightroom now, that should have that data.

thank you very much.

i think i need explore more in to forum to find old lens for this baby hahahhaa.....well i do't really need many but just another option should be more than enough.
06-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Old (mostly cheap) lenses to look for: Almost anything marked Sears, Focal, Vivitar, Lentar, Toyo, Meyer, Cosina, Chinon, Mamiya, and of course Asahi Pentax Takumar. Manual-focus Nikon and Olympus OM and Yashica C/Y are very easy to modify for Pentax. Common cheap focal lengths: 28mm, 35mm, 50-55-58mm, 135mm, 200mm.

How to inspect old lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

How to get into macrophotography: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html

Those should keep you busy for awhile. Cheers!

06-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
wow more info hahahaha cool...

thanks a lot RioRico, this help a lot. Too bad Malaysia don't really have this kind of Pawnshop Lenses hahahaha...may be have but i don't so this info will be very help full
06-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Advance congratulations patricklui! I'm sure you'll enjoy your K200D, one of the most unique cameras Pentax ever made. Looking forward to your photos! Happy shooting!
06-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you for your welcome post, for sure i will take a lot of photo with it hahahaha.....
06-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #12

Original Poster
alrite i'm now a K200D happy owner hahahaha...camera feel very solid in hand. not much time to play with for now cos it already mid night at here malaysia. but i find it not so good in low light, well i'm still happy with it.