Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New to forum and new K5 owner

Hi folks,

New to the forum and also a new K5 owner. I previously owned a K20D and very much liked it. The K5 is, however, a revelation. I've previously owned an Oly E-3, Canon 40D, Canon 50D, and Oly E-5, and currently own a Fuji X10, Leica X1, Canon S95, and an old Leica M6 in addition to the K5. Avid camera guy and also like to take pictures . The K5 is by far my favorite.

I'm a retired Navy officer (23 years), submariner, and now work in the defense industry as a civilian. Ocean engineering background. Married with a college-aged son and love anything mechanical - watches, cameras, guns, cars, motorcycles and metalworking.

I really like the feel of this forum and appreciate the non-hostile environment. Trying to slowly build up a stable of lenses since all I have at present is the 18-55 WR kit lens.

Regards,
Chuck

06-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Chuck. Look forward to your pictures.
06-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Hello Chuck, Welcome aboard and thank you for your service.
Hope you enjoy your K-5, there's lots of fine K-mount lenses to check out and all the old ones fit!
I had a good experience with the 18-55mm kit lens, but eventually wanted a bit more performance and speed. The DA 16-45mm f/4.0 and a few (who am I kidding, a lot!) of fast M lenses helped, but LBA set in and now it's hopeless.
Beware!
LOL,
Ron
06-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! We'll have you infected infused with LBA (lens-buying addiction adrenaline) in no time! Here's my kit-building strategy:

1) Coverage. My Tamron 10-24, DA18-250, and Lil'Bigma 170-500 have the range.
2) Speed. My FA50/1.4, and various f/2 MF primes at 24-28-35058-85mm serve well.
3) Specialty. My DA10-17 and other fisheyes, and mirrors and macros, do that work.
4) Character. Cheap slow old MF primes just render differently than modern lenses.
5) Mania. Whatever I can stuff onto the camera: enlarger-projector-xray-etc glass.

Now, some folks just buy all the Limiteds and FA*s and DA*s and let it go at that. Sure, that works too. But where's the challenge? Sussing-out bargains is great fun, especially without a black budget to draw on.

Anyway, we look forward to your contributions here. Have fun!