Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #1

Hello from Scotland!

Hi everyone!

I've been interested in photography for a long time but have only made the move from casual point-and-shoot cameras to using a DSLR just over a year ago when I bit the bullet bought a K-x. After reviewing the competition I couldn't fault Pentax's entry-level DSLR build quality and the backwards compatibility with older (and cheaper) lenses appealed to me!

Since then, I've bought a few lenses (amongst other accessories) to complement the camera
  • Sigma 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 APO DG
  • Cosina Cosinon Auto MC 135mm f/2.8
  • Pentax-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 WR
  • Pentax-F 50mm f/1.7
  • Sigma Mini-Wide II 28mm f/2.8
After buying the 50mm I couldn't help but feel hooked to using that lens and is almost always attached to my camera - I love the sharpness and bokeh results. I've recently gone away and pre-ordered the K-30 - it was either that or the K-5, but the K-5 is still a little bit more expensive than the K-30. If the K-5 drops in price a little, I may be tempted to switch over however...

06-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! I also got into photography a bit over a year ago when I bought a K-r. I'm very interested in the K-30 as an upgrade and am looking forward to hearing some reviews when it comes out.

Glad you decided to join the forum and I can't wait to see some photos of your home land, if you care to share!
06-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Your country was the most friendly of my stops (4 ports and 4 great greetings) in the British Isles and I want to return that with a hearty welcome to this forum. I took a few good shots there.

I would sing or play some music for you but I don't want to run you off.

Seriously, welcome aboard.
06-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Always good to welcome a fellow countryman, there's very few of us here in the forum.

06-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Always good to welcome a fellow countryman, there's very few of us here in the forum.
As another Scotsman (albeit now living away from home), I second this.
06-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #6

Hey, I'm in Scotland too, having recently moved here from my native England - my wife got homesick! I've been using Pentax cameras for some time, having found an ME Super in a charity shop about ten years ago for a mere eight quid! Best photographic buy ever, easily. I also have a K-m DSLR, which I really enjoy using, and I've had a couple of Auto 110s in the past too.

Pentax have done a great job in producing DSLRs that will work with almost every lens they've ever made, so using the film and digital SLRs as part of a system works really well.

Anyway, nice to be here...

Lee
06-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Welcome to the forum! I also got into photography a bit over a year ago when I bought a K-r. I'm very interested in the K-30 as an upgrade and am looking forward to hearing some reviews when it comes out.

Glad you decided to join the forum and I can't wait to see some photos of your home land, if you care to share!
Thanks! I may get round to uploading some photos at some point - there's a few nice castles nearby where I live, I'll try and dig out the better photographs!

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Your country was the most friendly of my stops (4 ports and 4 great greetings) in the British Isles and I want to return that with a hearty welcome to this forum. I took a few good shots there.

I would sing or play some music for you but I don't want to run you off.

Seriously, welcome aboard.
Haha really? I find that surprisingly! Whereabouts did you visit in Scotland? There's beautiful scenery all over the country - only problem is that we have very few days throughout the year when it's not chucking it down with rain!!

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
As another Scotsman (albeit now living away from home), I second this.
Ahh, excellent - always good to find my fellow countrymen!

QuoteOriginally posted by Primitive Person Quote
Hey, I'm in Scotland too, having recently moved here from my native England - my wife got homesick! I've been using Pentax cameras for some time, having found an ME Super in a charity shop about ten years ago for a mere eight quid! Best photographic buy ever, easily. I also have a K-m DSLR, which I really enjoy using, and I've had a couple of Auto 110s in the past too.

Pentax have done a great job in producing DSLRs that will work with almost every lens they've ever made, so using the film and digital SLRs as part of a system works really well.

Anyway, nice to be here...

Lee
Hehe yeah, that sounds like a great bargain! What I've always been surprised about is how most of these older lenses go for peanuts on eBay and even some retailers online, despite being perfectly usable! (Okay, maybe focusing isn't as easy as it was in the split-prism days, but with a bit of fiddling we can get there!)
06-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenix427 Quote

Haha really? I find that surprisingly! Whereabouts did you visit in Scotland? There's beautiful scenery all over the country - only problem is that we have very few days throughout the year when it's not chucking it down with rain!!
So the rumor goes. I never needed that umbrella. People seem to think I am story telling when I say I had 4 mostly sunny days.
May 19 Glasgow (Greenock)
May 21 Orkney Islands (Kirkwall port)
May 22 Invergordon
May 23 Edinburgh (South Queensbury port)

I would have to find by notes to mention the small towns we visited. We did not venture into Edinburgh. That tour was sold out and we stayed more local to the port using public transport to visit a few small towns.