Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #1

Greetings... I am the autistic werewolf... New to photography using pentax r5 camera!

Hello everyone I am a complete newbie when it comes to photography as a hobby. I am in Information Technology as a profession so taking pictures will just be something I do to provide pleasure in my life. I have autism so my questions my sound very odd and basic when I need help. I have started taking pictures with my K5 and love it already. I am using auto focus a lot but slowly doing some focusing myself. I have photoshop elements 10 and will likely buy Lightroom 4 soon as I have the money saved. I just spent over $3,500.00 on a Pentax camera and 3 nice lenses, photography books, lots of basic accessories and more. I am pleased with my Pentax K5 camera. Only gripe I have about Pentax so far is the cheap plastic lens mounting's that are part of certain lenses. The K5 camera is designed tough like a battle hardened a warhorse instead of some cheap plastic garbage. The K5 while taking some getting used to is easy to use once you get the hang of its controls. I took my first totally awesome picture using a Pentax telephoto lens. Using a Pentax 55mm x 200mm lens from my balcony 14 miles away, I captured Downtown Baltimore City sitting peacefully and beautifully on a carpet of trees. This was my first picture in JPG format with this quality K5 camera and I was so totally impressed. I have now figured out how to set for both RAW and JPEG so I am starting on Post Production Editing using Adobe Photoshop Elements 10. So far I am loving this whole photography experience. I am not good enough to share any of my photos yet but someday soon I will be. I love my picture of Baltimore so much I have it as a desk top on all my computers at home and will soon have it on my work computer as well.

Thanks for reading me. Any suggestions on what I should focus on as a new hobby photographer sound off. I will read all suggestions.

06-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
welcome wolf.. i too have photoshop elements but mine is 7. cant wait to see some of your pictures
06-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome wolf, it is nice to hear you are enjoying photography.
There are some very fine lenses that pentax makes, usually designated with a * symbol or with the Limited designation.
The group of lenses that use plastic mounts have been designed for lower cost but usually still have decent image quality.
Check the lens reviews to see what others think of the various lenses available.
I am sure with time and practice you will be able to make excellent images no matter what equipment you use.