Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #1

Hello from NYC!

Hi everyone, I've been lurking/researching here for weeks now for my first DSLR! I'm shooting with a fuji x10 right now but plan on pulling the trigger on the K-5 soon.

Sarah

06-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Banned

Well, hello from a fellow NYer (but stranded in Germany )

I just got my K-5 about a month ago and it's working out really well. Best plan of attack- read the manual! It's daunting at first, but becomes second nature later. Next, pick the right lens. I'm really happy with the combos I picked up (FA35, F50 1.7, m85 F2). Check blog in the signature for examples. Lots of botched shots there, but forgiving in post processing.
06-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
snake your pictures are amazing!! But it looks like you're just missing a wide-angle =P thanks for letting me know whats working for you. I plan on buying body + a different lens to start with but the there are so many lens options that i keep delaying my purchase...
06-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hello and a very warm welcome to you.

06-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sarahcee Quote
snake your pictures are amazing!! But it looks like you're just missing a wide-angle =P thanks for letting me know whats working for you. I plan on buying body + a different lens to start with but the there are so many lens options that i keep delaying my purchase...
Thank you so much. Just figuring out my style and eventually, when I go back home to NYC, I'll have some skills to use there.

For wide angles, I just use my Nokia N8

The lens decision is always tough with Pentax, but honestly, it's very easy to get one lens and stick with it. I would not change my decision to go with the 35 and 50. 52mm and 75mm are very usable in most settings and when not, one figures out how to make them work. I'm still a novice with using primes and my wiring still needs to change to I just click off the shot, rather than waiting and hoping the right framing comes together. However, just shooting lends a different aspect, more spontaneous in look (as displayed in my blog), and probably more fun. I might get a 24mm if I find one for cheap, like an old Sigma. The only fast one is the expensive FA24, but at f2.8, the sigma seems fine enough.

If you're looking for that 50mm experience, try looking for the FA35 right off the bat. The DA35 is also a stellar performer, though slightly slower. Not the mention, it's cheap and the optics are quite good. The FA35 is committed as my primary lens for just about everything and if there's one lens I have with me, it's that. The FA35 won't be cheap new, is not too cheap used, but is still somewhat reasonable. The thing I like about it is that it starts off fairly sharp, even at wide open apertures and has good side to side sharpness and great colors (though in my case, for street shooting, I'm developing a "color documentary" processing style, as displayed in my blog).

I have much room for improvement, as I want to shoot concerts and was not happy with my performance in shooting that band, but it's a good learning experience.

What do you think you'll get and what style do you have?

Last edited by snake; 06-28-2012 at 01:01 AM.
06-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
I'm....unsure to say the least. my current camera has a 28-112mm 35mm equivalent...so I think its a 10mm to a 43mm-ish zoom range for a APSC? my boyfriend tells me primes are the way to go, but im wondering if i would be upset about being unable to catch a shot without the zoom. if i had all the money in the world i think id do the sigma 8-16,the 20-35 (yea right), the 43lim and a 70 da/77 fa /85 3rd party for portraits.

or the tamron 17-70. =T

i dont know. hahaha SO HARD. i've been doing a lot of research...and went to b&h like twice, but they only have 2 lenses to try out. i don't quite know what to start with.
06-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Banned

Try this- go through your collection and see what focal length you're often using. I think there's software that even scans the library, but the name escapes me. That can help you find out where you're at most of the time. If it makes any difference, I used to shoot often at 24mm with my prosumer compact, but I am ok with the transition to something tighter. Also, look at some of your best pics and see. However, we all tend to adapt to whatever we have and I had something of the same worry, but I pushed my creativity into another direction and changed styles a bit, so I don't really feel like I'm losing shots. I'm simply getting a different experience and working with it. If you can't decide, then naturally, a fast zoom would work. The best advice is to look into checking your library, then spending time to really make sure of what you want. Bodies come and go, lenses are the investment, so pick right, even it takes a bit more time.