Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Old Film Guy

Old Film guy- Black and white -35mm and medium format- Just purchased K-5 w/ 18-55 , 55-300ED, and 43mm 1.9.
Headed to Alaska, looking for some input and help on what seems to be an exicting but complicated camera.

06-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! I'm sure you'll enjoy that 43mm!

If you're used to shooting with film then the shooting modes available to you will seem very familiar, except that now you're in control of the sensitivity. Also, don't be afraid to snap away, because now you'll be able to take quite a few more shots "per roll"
06-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SMC Quote
Old Film guy- Black and white -35mm and medium format- Just purchased K-5 w/ 18-55 , 55-300ED, and 43mm 1.9.
Headed to Alaska, looking for some input and help on what seems to be an exicting but complicated camera.
it's a good kit to start out with. Don't be intimidated by the camera it's not that different from your film cameras. If you currently shoot setting aperture and speed manually the biggest difference is the flexibility to change iso on the fly. I use Tav mode a lot and set my auto iso to cover an acceptable range (say 80-800 on a k5) then set the shutter speed and aperture where you like and let iso float. that range on a k5 is pretty much noiseless. Shoot Raw or Raw+. Raw is like a negative letting you develop it in lightroom or another program to extract your vision. like dodging and burning in the darkroom. A jpeg can have adjustments made but every time you save the file it degrades a bit. I usually save jpeg for final output (and always save the raw because as time goes on your post processing skills improve and you can revisit an image and get a whole different take on it.(not really any different than the darkroom in that way). the hardest part for me in the film to digital transition was learning the post process stage.

If you look at the K5 review there is a walk through for setting up the camera at first.
06-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
SMC

Original Poster
Thanks, I think once I get over the learning curve this is going to be really exciting, And i won't have to work in the dark anymore, although I must admit that was alot of fun also.

06-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey SMC,

You'll really enjoy the K5.....especially on a trip to Alaska. The dynamic range is really quite good, where you can shoot underexposed if you need a faster shutter speed and then bring the picture back to proper exposure post processing and no-one's the wiser.

PS...in case you see some older posts where someone has quoted "smc"....that was me. I changed my forum alias from smc about a year ago. I'm glade it's gone to someone else that enjoys shooting film! I went and shot a roll of back and white film yesterday and found myself trying to look for a screen on the back of the camera...

Cheers,
Steve.
06-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome SMC... it seems like you've been here for years.

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
PS...in case you see some older posts where someone has quoted "smc"....that was me. I changed my forum alias from smc about a year ago. I'm glade it's gone to someone else that enjoys shooting film! I went and shot a roll of back and white film yesterday and found myself trying to look for a screen on the back of the camera...
smc to SMC?
OOooh, are you writing to yourself in another dimension, or is time travel involved?
06-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #7

Headed to Alaska
That's one of my dreams... To go to Alaska. And maybe stay there for good. Beautiful, frozen and wild...

06-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't there a John Wayne movie -- North to Alaska, or something?
06-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been to Alaska. Actually, I used to live just south of the panhandle in Prince Rupert.

The 55-300 will save you from being eaten.

Enjoy.
07-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
i won't have to work in the dark anymore, although I must admit that was a lot of fun also
For me that all depended on who else was in there with me.

Welcome to the forum.
07-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The 55-300 will save you from being eaten.
Well said