Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from Central Illinois USA

Looking forward to picking up some tips and tricks as this is my first digital SLR. After reading many conflicting reviews on different makes and models over a long period of time I bit the bullet and purchased a K5 with the SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR. My last camera was a Petri fully manual 35mm film camera ,circa 1974, so overwhelmed would be an understatement as I gazed upon the myriad of buttons and thumbwheels and levers. I have over a hundred pages to finish up the operating manual but have learned many new terms so far and have broken out of the green mode a bit. Love the fact that all the information on a shot is stored with the image, no more waiting for the film to be processed and matching them with notes scribbled while shooting. So far I've been taking a shot with my best guess at the settings in manual then one in green mode. I need a lot more practice as the green mode so far is besting me about 3 to 1. In closing I think I made a very good choice, for the price I do believe this is the best camera I could have chosen. Can't wait to pick up a couple more lenses as the kit lens seems to be rated a tad lower than others although to me the pictures seem excellent. Any pointers or advice on lens choice would be greatly appreciated, especially on macro photography. Thank You

07-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums This is a great place to get answers to questions you may have Sounds as if you are enjoying the k-5
07-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello from Northern Illinois!
When I'm out with my K-5 I'll often have the DA55-300 when it's a good time for birds and critters, the 16-45 (now being pushed out by the 18-135 for general use) and the FA-100 macro when I'm insect hunting.

I've used cameralensrentals.com out of Indiana for rental lenses, I think their prices are quite reasonable. If you're thinking about buying something it might make sense to rent for a couple of weeks to see if it really suits your purpose.
07-03-2012, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TAv is the mode I live in. I have also made a user-mode for fast shots where most in-camera adjustments are turned off, the shutter is default to 1/750 and aperture to f:8 That's to get shots of the dogs playing etc.