Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hello from Caldwell, Idaho

Hey there

I have been lurking around here for a while; ever since I started researching digital SLRs. Now that I have one coming via Ebay ($250 with kit lens NIB... yay me!), I thought I would sign up.

I had a Pentax PZ-something or other back in 2001 I bought used from a buddy of mine complete with 80 - 200 mm lens. It was a great camera and took beautiful shots. I know this because I am not that good. I had a Konica which took ok shots when someone used it who knew what they were doing. Me? I was always hit or miss, and that proved to me I was not good and needed a better camera.

Since 2006, when said Pentax took a tumble and died, I decided to go digital and picked up a nice Canon Powershot A-95. This wasn't a bad little guy, but now that I have toddlers who move about hither and yon while I chase them trying to get the 'good' shots, the shutter-lag was killing me. And I did long for the look and feel of an SLR again, so I started researching.

I can't wait until mine comes! Then I can play the weekly contest games and scavenger hunt!

George

01-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fellow Treasure Vallian...

Hey George..

Glad you decided to join us!!! You will love it here..

I just purchased my first DSLR last fall and this site has helped me tremendousely!!! The people here are very helpful and friendly..

It is nice to see a fellow idahian in the bunch!!! There are getting to be 5 or 6 of us... 3 or 4 just in the treasure valley.. maybe this summer we can all get together and shoot some pics!!!!

Enjoy the site!! Bet you can't wait for your first pic!!!

Kim
01-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, that's just all right! I have seen folks from all over the world on here and we have some local folks to add that special bit of Idaho into everyone's lives.

I can't wait for my K100d to show!! I have GOT to take some shots of the icicles off my garage. They are just bee-yew-tee-full. I hope it shows before we get warm weather again.
01-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome George. Glad it was an Idahoan that first Welcomed you.

01-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Crazy Weather..

QuoteOriginally posted by deckroid Quote
I can't wait for my K100d to show!! I have GOT to take some shots of the icicles off my garage. They are just bee-yew-tee-full. I hope it shows before we get warm weather again.
So has your camera showed yet??? This crazy weather.. You may have lost those Iciciles.. lol..

Today I came back from Cambridge (north about 1.5 hrs) and it was 30 degreess and snowing so hard I could hardly see the road.. then I get to Emmett and it is fricken 49 degrees windy and had been raining.. Crazy Idaho weather..

But it is supposed to snow all week again.. so hopefully if you dont have your icicles you will still get you chance by weeks end!!

Kim
01-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Looks like I'm not the only one waiting on a camera. The suspense is killing me!
01-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
It snowed again last night! Wheee! Just when my hopes were dashed, it snowed again.

I won the camera off ebay and they shipped it on Thrs. so it should be here today (Monday) or Tuesday. Here in Caldwell, Idaho we seem to be in the Black Hole of Calcutta as far as USPS and UPS and DHL are concerend. Takes an average of 1 to 2 days longer. Dunno why, it just does.

And, yes, Maxwell1295, it is killing me too.
01-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter

BTW, what DSLR Pentax were you able to grab for $250 NIB?!?!

(I'm jealous)

I got a good deal on my K100D w/kit lens from eBay, but it wasn't NIB. That's a great deal no matter which model it is. Congrats...

01-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's a K100D w/ kit lens. All I need now are some good rechargable batts, I am thinking eneloop, a 4gb SD chip and a smc fa 50 mm f1.4 lens. Of course, the lens can wait... even with the low $$ spent on the camera, I can't really justify another $200 expense to the "upper management". I will just have to sock some pennies away and buy it before May 8th. (heading to Alaska on a cruise!)

The person selling it had something like 700 sells and only 1 negative response from someone who recieved a broken camera and blamed the seller.
01-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome neighbor! Maybe we'll get enough members to have an Idaho get-together.
01-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Good Idea!!

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Welcome neighbor! Maybe we'll get enough members to have an Idaho get-together.
Now your talkin!!!! Sounds like a good idea!! Count me in!!
02-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
With such a tall state, we'd have to choose something in the middle... something along the lines of Grangeville... Never been there... what are the photo ops like? lol
02-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #13

I'm another Idahoan that is pretty new to the board. Mostly just looking for some idea's and information. I'm surprised by the number of people from Idaho I've seen on here. Any way, welcome, and hope you enjoy your new camera.