Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Canadian Pentaxian Newbie

Hi all, I`m new to the Pentax world except for my binos...

I`m so new in that I`m still on the lookout for a K5 and hoping to come accross a used one in my area of Vancouver but not holding my breath for to long.

Also looking for a 300mm prime to help get me started.

My 1st and only quality camera was a Olympus OM 77 but that is long gone and I want to get back into photography. I have always been the point, set up the shot for how ever long it takes kind of snaper and have no real experience with the technical side of F stops and shutter speeds, I understand just not clearly yet. Just getting interested again and I have a thirst for this so that`s why I willing to spend a little more that a few hundred.

I could use some help finding were I can read well thought out & explained reviews of 500mm prime lens. not sure if I will be going this big but getting to know the price range of a higher quality lens in this range will decided that for now anyway...

Thanks for reading & thank you in advance for your help and donating your time to pass on your years of experience

Last edited by T-rex; 07-14-2012 at 11:57 PM.
07-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, while you hunt for the gear this book would be a good refresher to prepare you, Read it myself not long back since i reccommend it I decided I should look at it again and refresh my own skills

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Amazon.ca: Bryan Peterson: Books
07-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the advise.
I just looked in your Gallery and the Toronto sky line shot is amazing!!! Did you photoshop that or are you just that lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

I have some roof top shots from when I lived in TO but they were taken with my old 35mm Olympus so no jep yet, I killed my printer scanner last month after it decided to srew me over for the last time. I hate HP printers it was the second and last HP printer I`ll buy.
07-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

that was an HDr of the skyline, so several combined exposures to increase the Dynamic range

the one below is one shot, different lens form the same basic spot though - I prefer this one myself - B/W processing included applying some presets from the DXO film pack

07-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #5

Original Poster
Another nice pic, but it only keeps my attention for a short short time. Maybe just personal pref but black & white don`t usually keep me tuned in for longer than a few seconds.

Still think the skyline is money...
07-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the same shot in colour, but i've been a b/w shooter for close to 40 years now so I have a love of it. (the b/w is actually the more popular of the 2 on my flickr)

here's the colour version

07-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
Very nice, I still like the cloudy one this one is very detailed but a little loud so if you made it the centre point of a large panorama that would be a sweet combo and very pleasing to the brain eye combo.

I`m so green it`s not even funny so all in fun, but if you ever do set it up that way please send a pic