Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #1

Hello All! New to Pentax and K5

Helo, I just purchased a K5 with the 18-55 WR kit lens. I am loving the camera so far but still have much to learn. I have been a long time Canon user and currently shoot with a 60D. Right now the 60D is jealous as it is sitting in it's bag while I am playing with my new toy.

Hope to be posting some pictures soon.

Take care

07-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Enjoy! I really enjoyed shooting with the K-5, a marginal step up some some area's from the 60D, but at least you don't have to be afraid to shoot in the rain anymore! Depending on what you enjoy shooting check out the lens club's in the forum to get idea's of how each lens renders and such.. careful though.. don't go into the "FA Ltd" or the "DA 15 Controls my mind" clubs or you'll end up spending money you didn't even have!
07-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. I usually do spend money I don't have!
07-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #4

Hello!

How do you like the K-5 compared to your 60D?

07-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hello,

I am liking the K5 very much. It is so much smaller and lighter compared to the 60D. The K5 has a great user experience with more buttons, better placement and the menu system is easy to use. Even easier than Canons. I still love my 60D but I think it will be mostly used for Wildlife / Sports as the AF is better and I have some good glass. I will use the K5 for Landscape shots as it has better Dynamic Range and the weather sealing is nice as I like to shoot at the water a lot. Being that I have only used the K5 for a few days and only have the kit lens I would have to wait to say that If I only could keep one I would keep the K5 but I have not touched the 60D since getting the K5.
07-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
Just an update on the K5. I am enjoying using the camera, however I am not that happy with the kit lens. It is soft wide open and zoomed out as well. I am hoping it is just the lens and not the camera. Can't imagine it is the camera. Also all of my pictures are underexposed a little. I am using the correct exposure settings so I think it's either the camera or the lens. My 60D is spot on. I pretty much use the center focus point on the camera and have noticed that sometimes I can't get a lock on focus and I have to recompose. Is this normal for this camera, lens? Will I see much better results with a good lens? I am very happy with my 60D. The only thing I really wanted was to be able to pull more detail out of the dark areas with the type of landscape shots I have shown here. The K5 seems to be able to do that better plus it has the weather sealing. I am thinking about renting a couple lenses to really see what I can get out of it. I just took the 2 cameras around my house with similar settings and the 60D shots were so much better to my eyes. Granted I am using the Canon 15-85mm lens which is a step up from the kit lens. So thats why I am thinking of renting a better lens. Would the 18-135 WR give me similar results as the Canon 15-85? Or is it the same IQ as the 18-55? I know primes are the way to go. Just trying to make sense of my purchase. Sorry for my rambling.

Thanks

Last edited by djrocks66; 07-12-2012 at 06:49 AM.
07-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax's Kit 18-55 historically have been better than the Canikon counter parts.. but it IS a kit lens regardless of how ya cut it. Results from the 18-135 to the 43 ltd I had assured the 18-135 only came out on rainy days. Well You can check sites like Welcome to Photozone! and Digital Photography Review and others for those lens reviews.. There is a thread full of 18-135 WR shots HERE. I would suggest picking up a nice prime lens, Depending on your budget and what focal length prefered.. but the ones that would be on my list are the DA 15 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd or Sigma 30mm f1.4, FA 43 Ltd, DA* 55, FA 77 Ltd, DFA 100mm WR.. For zooms, the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 is a good performer for it's price.. the DA* zooms would be sweet too. If WIDE is your thing.. the DA 12-24 is a GREAT lens, and the 10-17 Fisheye is a blast as well.
07-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Pentax's Kit 18-55 historically have been better than the Canikon counter parts.. but it IS a kit lens regardless of how ya cut it. Results from the 18-135 to the 43 ltd I had assured the 18-135 only came out on rainy days. Well You can check sites like Welcome to Photozone! and Digital Photography Review and others for those lens reviews.. There is a thread full of 18-135 WR shots HERE. I would suggest picking up a nice prime lens, Depending on your budget and what focal length prefered.. but the ones that would be on my list are the DA 15 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd or Sigma 30mm f1.4, FA 43 Ltd, DA* 55, FA 77 Ltd, DFA 100mm WR.. For zooms, the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 is a good performer for it's price.. the DA* zooms would be sweet too. If WIDE is your thing.. the DA 12-24 is a GREAT lens, and the 10-17 Fisheye is a blast as well.
Thanks. I think I will pick up a wide angle prime or the 12-24. I love the Sigma 30. I have it for my 60D and it is the one I use most. It is sharp and has great color and contrast.

07-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember you can rent lenses, if you want something special for an event or to try before you buy.