Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #1

I am an old retired guy who lives in Rockport, Texas and who has been a Pentax owner since the 1980's. Since digital cameras have taken over the market my wife and I own several of the pocket size digital cameras. However, for a number of reasons, I am contemplating replacing my old and much loved ME Super with a Pentax K-5 DSLR, thus, my interest in this great forum. Specifically, I am interested in using the SMC Pentax-A lenses that I have used with my ME Super and I need information/advise on how well they will work on a K-5. Following are a list of my lenses:
-SMC Pentax-A 1:1.7 50mm
-SMC Pentax-A 1:3.5 35-105mm
-SMC Pentax-A 1:4 70-210mm
I am sure this forum has been asked many times how these older lenses work on the modern Pentax DSLR cameras. Since I am new to this forum and have not done any research thus far I would appreciate any guidance on where I can find information in the forum on how my lenses (listed above) will work on the K-5 camera.

I'll close this intro by saying a K-5 is a lot more camera than I really need but I like good quality equipment regardless of my limited capabilities to use it. Most, if not all, of my photography will we of grandkids and scenery we experience in our travels.

07-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums
I do not have a K-5 ,but the lenses should work fine. That is one of the great things about Pentax is their backward compatibility with lenses.
07-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
Patrick9,
Thanks for the "welcome" and fast reply.
07-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Any Pentax legacy lenses such as the ones you have will work fine on any of the digital DSLR bodies, like the K-5. The only thing to be aware of is the older lenses (M series) will have to used manually, that is you have to set aperture and shutter speed, and earlier lenses with the threaded mounts require an adapter.

You have found the best site on the web for advice, help and general bs'ing about Pentax. Welcome aboard!

07-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Forum Member

I recomend the K5... but why not the new k30? cheaper and almost the same... same sensor (maybe even better quality)... because all we kno that the K5 probably will be replaced soon
07-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW: If you want to take a look at the owner's manual for the K-5, you can down load a PDF file of it here: K-5 Manual
07-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JorgeDeSilva Quote
I recomend the K5... but why not the new k30? cheaper and almost the same... same sensor (maybe even better quality)... because all we kno that the K5 probably will be replaced soon
I'm not sure what the 30 is going for, but the K5 has been selling as cheap as $800 new, and it has more features than the 30, does it not?
07-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks to All for the great response. What a great group of forum members.

Regarding the price comparison between the K-30 and the K-5, I have found in my limited research on the web that the K-30 and the K-5 are selling for about the same price. It appears to me (keep in mind my limited knowledge of DSLR cameras) that the K-5 is a better camera for the money.

07-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Forum Member

Supposedly the 30 it's not the replacement of the K5... but as i can see, it will be even better almost. But if in your area the K5 it's cheaper... so dont look back! It's still the best APSC camera on the market