Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Drooling over the K-5

I have spent the past several weeks reading reviews and checking into purchasing a new DSLR. I am very impressed with the K-5 and have decided to purchase one. My question is this...would I be better off purchasing the K-5 with the kit lens or looking around and getting something else to start off with. Initially I will be getting just a walk-around lens, 50-55mm but will eventually go to at least a 300mm. I know that there are excellent used lens but want to be wise in my purchase. Like a lot of you I am sure, the funds are not unlimited but I also want good lenses.

Looking forward to reading more of the forums and posts and getting to know other's that have had some experience with the Pentax.

Thanks!
Deb

07-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If you ask photographers what's their favoured "walk-around-lens", you may get any answer between 20mm and 85mm. So it is a very personal preference. The "normal" FL (nearest to what you see with your eyes) would be somewhere between 28-32mm.

To me, the kit lens, specially the WR version, is a perfect "walk-around" lens, as it covers everything from fairly wide to mild tele, and adds the weather sealing. Its IQ is not up to prime lenses, but much better than its reputation.

You don't tell how much experience you have with (D)SLRs. If a lot, you should already know what you will need. If not, the kit lens (even better the 18-135) would be the perfect tool to find out what your preference may be in the future. And for its price as a package with the K5 this money should not be lost. Even if later on you will decide to stay with prime lenses, I am sure you will find there are still occasions when the kit comes handy.
07-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! I just bought a K-5 too a couple of weeks ago. You're going to love it! As far as the lenses...I bought the 18-55mm WR kit lens with the body. I wanted a WR lens, but I must say the lens is quite nice, especially for the $. I also bought the 15mm Limited prime...I've had my eye on it for a while now and it is in a class of it's own. The other Limited primes I'm sure are just as special in their own right. I also bought the DA 55-300mm tele...I don't have it yet so I can't comment. I did an exhaustive search on the lenses and these three seemed to cover everything I like to shoot.

If your just learning you can't go wrong with the 18-5mm WR kit lens!
07-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter

The 18-55 WR is fine as a walk around lens. Stopped down to f8 sharpness if perfectly fine for a snapshot lens. The 55-300 is a great lens. I have the DA L version and it is on my camera more often than not. If you want a single lens kit, take a look at the FA 18-250. It isn't in production anymore and ised copies sell for about the same as a used copy of 18-135. IMO get the 18-55 and a used 55-300, learn to use the camera, then let the LBA take over.

07-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you SO much for all the information! So helpful....I have been into photography for about eight years now. I started out with a couple digital Point and Shoots and then was gifted with a Nikon D5000. I have owned it for about two years and though it's not a bad camera it would not have been my first choice. I really prefer to use a camera without lenses that require the built in focusing motor. I have read a multitude of reviews on the K-5 and plan to go in and give it a try to see how it feels in my hands and then order from either B&H or Adorama.
I am sure I will be back with more questions and I will be reading everything I can here. Thanks so much for all the input!
Deb
07-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Debrjean Quote
Thank you SO much for all the information! So helpful....I have been into photography for about eight years now. I started out with a couple digital Point and Shoots and then was gifted with a Nikon D5000. I have owned it for about two years and though it's not a bad camera it would not have been my first choice. I really prefer to use a camera without lenses that require the built in focusing motor. I have read a multitude of reviews on the K-5 and plan to go in and give it a try to see how it feels in my hands and then order from either B&H or Adorama.
I am sure I will be back with more questions and I will be reading everything I can here. Thanks so much for all the input!
Deb
I think you'll love the K-5...so many features it's almost nuts! It is very well built and a charm to shoot with. The controls and setup are very intuitive. Add the weather proofing and for the current price of roughly $900 for the body ... in my humble opinion the K-5 can't be beat. Not to mention it also has the highest rated APS-C sensor out there according to DxO and their highly regarded tests!
07-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I notice you live in Nevada, so you certainly know about dust. The biggest reason I own my Pentax K7 (have not moved to a K5 yet) is for the weather and dust resistance, and the 18-55 WR lens is a constant companion. I hate cleaning my sensor and if I keep the 18-55 attached while I am out and about I have to clean very seldom.

It is also a very good lens and will give you many really good images. I recommend that you avoid the extreme ends of the zoom on either side but even then, if you need the shot, the problems are a lot less than they are made out to be. Stop it down to at least f5.6 and you will be very happy. And with the great ISO range on the K5 you can easily get away with that.

Finally, you cannot go wrong on the price. It is almost literally a steal. Where else are you going to be able to get a brand new, weather resistant, zoom at the price you get it for in the kit?

Good luck and enjoy the shooting!
07-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I notice you live in Nevada, so you certainly know about dust. The biggest reason I own my Pentax K7 (have not moved to a K5 yet) is for the weather and dust resistance, and the 18-55 WR lens is a constant companion. I hate cleaning my sensor and if I keep the 18-55 attached while I am out and about I have to clean very seldom.

It is also a very good lens and will give you many really good images. I recommend that you avoid the extreme ends of the zoom on either side but even then, if you need the shot, the problems are a lot less than they are made out to be. Stop it down to at least f5.6 and you will be very happy. And with the great ISO range on the K5 you can easily get away with that.

Finally, you cannot go wrong on the price. It is almost literally a steal. Where else are you going to be able to get a brand new, weather resistant, zoom at the price you get it for in the kit?

Good luck and enjoy the shooting!
Howdy Pioneer,

Yep, I'm over in Northwestern Nevada. Certainly know about dust! I definitely agree with you about the 18-55mm WR lens. It's a fantastic lens for the price and the fact that it's WR is just the icing on the cake for me. For a "kit lens" it's pretty sharp at f/8. I haven't experimented keeping the focal length in between the two extremes, but I'll have to remember that. Thanks for the info!

07-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I recommend you consider the DA18-135 with your K-5.

The image quality is great, the focus is silent, the system will be weather sealed and you will have a mid-telephoto/portrait focal length at the ready without changing lenses.
07-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Aww! Elko...love that place. I have family there. I was through there about a month ago and I so wanted to stop and head up to Lamoille Canyon to do a little bit of photography but didn't have the time....I will get back there soon...
07-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I recommend you consider the DA18-135 with your K-5.

The image quality is great, the focus is silent, the system will be weather sealed and you will have a mid-telephoto/portrait focal length at the ready without changing lenses.
Thank you! Good to know!
07-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #12

Hi! Just ordered a K5 as well. I choose the 35mm f.2.8 Macro Limited for my first lens. It's equivalent to 52.5mm on a 35mm film camera. I found rave reviews and comments on its sharpness, dynamic range and versatlity. Contrary to my expectations, users find it to be excellent as a primary walk around lens for street and lanscape, with the versatility of handling close ups very well too.

Happy shooting!
07-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #13

Hey, just wanted to throw in my two cents'. I got the K7 with the 18-55 WR bundeled and found the wider range of the 18-55 to be what I used far more than anything else. Also, if you want to go on the cheap end, I would suggest a Pentax-M 50mm F/2 lens. It's super cheap and easy to find. It's a manual focus lens, so don't say I didn't warn you, but in my honest opinion, that's what makes it so much fun to use. It's great for everything but chasing after toddlers at family reunions.
07-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I enjoy the 18-135 now that I have one. It's quiet, quick, and so far very reliable for focus and small enough to carry easily.
I never did have the newer 18-55, though, so can't provide a comparison.

I do have the 55-300 as a long zoom, and it's very nice on the K-5. The Tamron 70-300 I used on my K-10 was not good on the K-5 which seemed to produce even more purple fringing.
07-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have read the reviews on the 35mm f.2 Macro Limited and I think it would be awesome. Very impressive.

I have also been looking at the 55-300 for a long zoom. I do mainly bird and insect/macro photography. So many choices!
« Hello | Hi »