Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #1

Hey from Ontario (w00t)

Hey guys,

I'm James Costa and I'm from Thornhill, Ontario. I've been shooting since I was about 13 or 14 (which makes me doing it for roughly 3 years now) and using Pentax as long as I can remember. I have an old Pentax SLR kicking around somewhere (and my dad has a crappy ol' Pentax point and shoot digital), but I love to use my Pentax *ist DL with the kit lets. I love doing band/event photography and am actually starting a business with a close friend in this sense.

(Oh, and so I don't waste board space... anyone know about the Pentax primes? I've been looking at a 50MM f/1.4 lens and I'm looking at Amazon which has it for about $200 (with S&H... thats prob US as well but the exchange rate isn't too bad). That a good price? Also, I found only one Pentax *ist DL battery grip and its from some random company I've never heard of... what do you guys think? Pentax says they don't have one they make for my body.)

In my spare time I enjoy long walks on the beach...

See ya'll around,

James

01-27-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum Costa.

I think the Amazon price is way too high. Could that be for an FA??? Why not post a Wanted post in the Marketplace, I'm sure there are people on both sides of the border, with good feedback, that might have one.

BTW, that "old" SLR might have a good piece of glass on it - might even be the lense you're looking for!
01-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #3

Costa,

Welcome to the forum. I recently purchased an FA50mm f/1.4 from Henry's for $319.00CDN and it is amazing. They still have them in stock. I have two K100D's and will probably keep the prime on one of them permanently.

Mike
01-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
@ JCSullivan: Thanks, I'll do that! But... whats an FA lens? My old SLR actually has the regular kit lens on it... nothing exciting and its not that big of a difference from my regular kit lens.
@ Mike Pearson: Yeah, I was looking at Henry's but they're much more expensive. I can't wait to get this one on and start using it at my shoot next week.

01-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #5

When checking amazon camera stuff make sure they will actually ship to Canada, lots of stuff only ship with-in the us. For a 50mm prime you have two choices, 1. Pentax SMC-FA 50mm F1.4 (auto focus) or 2. any of the old manual focus 50mm primes. If you want auto focus get the FA 50mm but if you dont mind manual the M series 50mm's are probably one of the most populare. Search Henry's used section (warning, make sure your not buying a S/P lens from henrys used as I believe those are screwmounts and you would have to get a adapter for it), Craiglist, Kijiji and Ebay.
An FA lens is a lens made by pentax in their "FA" lineup. Theres also the K, M, A and others in the manual focus lines and FA, FA-J, DA and others in the auto focus lineups.

Enjoy!!
Thanks