Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

new to the forum

Hi everyone, I have just joined the forum and I am a complete beginner
I have a pentax kx (told you I was a newbie) I use it for taking family snaps mostly, but have recently started an ebay business and am now using it for product photography, I only have the standard lens on it and would like to purchase a macro lens which I think would be better for my purposes but I will upgrade my camera within the next few months so I need to know the besr lens to buy that I can then use on the upgraded pentax (whichever one I can afford) that I buy
any suggestions would be great

07-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Welcome! For your purpose I think you need a flash and setup a flash box to get better lighting for your product photos.

Or you can get a tripod and some lamps to do product shots in low ISO and slower speed. You'll need to adjust your white balance to match the actual product.

For the kit lens, use F8-F11 then you'd be able to get good results.
07-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All Of 'Em!

Hello Winnie, Welcome to the Forum!
The great thing about Pentax SLRs is that virtually ANY lens made in PK mount will work with Pentax DSLRs.
Also most m42 screw-mount lenses, with an adapter.
Older lenses will have certain limitations, of course; Manual focus lenses will still be M/F. Manual aperture lenses will still require you to set the aperture on the lens aperture ring, and so on.
Pentax lenses designated "F", "FA" or "DA" will support auto-focus, auto aperture and most other modern features, with your KX and newer cameras.
Benhai is correct, stopping down the kit lens will sharpen up the resolution, but I would still recommend a dedicated macro lens (1st choice) or a lens with "Close-up" or macro capability (2nd choice).
A good short zoom with macro function is the Pentax F 35-70 f/3.5-4.5. At the 70mm end, there is an additional twist to the zoom ring, that puts the lens into macro mode, it will then only focus close-up. Very decent resolution and sharpness in this mode. It is also a handy walk-around zoom, fast (VERY fast!) auto focus, small, light and fun to use. Generally, about $50.00 used on eBay.
A flash will be a necessary addition for macro, the current AF360fgz will cost about $130-$150 used, $240 new.
An older Pentax flash that works with modern DSLRs is the AF 280T, about $50.00 used. A great bargain flash, with tilt, swivel and close-up tilt.
If you go to the lens reviews here, you'll find specs, reviews and general prices for nearly every Pentax and 3rd party lens made.
A tripod will help greatly, especially with close-focus shots. A "shooting table" or cove (sort of a tiny white tent) is handy, also.
Good Luck!
Ron