Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Stoked!!!

Just upgraded to the big times! I've been shooting for the last six years with a *ist DS. Just found a great deal on a used K-5 with the 18-135 WR kit for 900.00 CDN. Was unsure of how well-used, so I checked with the shutter count here on the forums...Manufactured in April 2012, with 158 shutter actuations. I am absolutely in HEAVEN!

07-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good find! Welcome to these pages, too.

While there's nothing wrong with the *istDS in good light, the K-5 is a huge step up from it generally, let alone in poor light. I find I'm using my 18-135 more and more for general use, in spite of the arsenal of primes in my cupboard.

Have a great time here, and with the K-5.
07-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Rob...I have a few legacy primes but still on the prowl for affordable auto-focus ones
07-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Wow! That's a great price for a K-5 and 18-135 WR. I am also very excited for you. Especially since the manufacturing date shows it's a non-problematic newer model and shutter count is so low, I would have never bought one if I saw it that cheap, thinking that it was an earlier problematic model. Congratulations on the great find. Upgrading from a *ist DS to a K-5 is like switching from Pentax to Nikon, LOL I was only just kidding. =P Enjoy!

07-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thegreatswalmi Quote
Just upgraded to the big times! I've been shooting for the last six years with a *ist DS. Just found a great deal on a used K-5 with the 18-135 WR kit for 900.00 CDN. Was unsure of how well-used, so I checked with the shutter count here on the forums...Manufactured in April 2012, with 158 shutter actuations. I am absolutely in HEAVEN!
Heck of deal! Stoked is right, that's pretty much brand new! Congratulations, enjoy it.
07-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thegreatswalmi Quote
Thanks Rob...I have a few legacy primes but still on the prowl for affordable auto-focus ones
The FA20/2.8 is highly recommended, if you can find one, but they tend to go for close to the cost of a DA21.
07-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
i'd really like to do some nice portrait work and am looking for something in the 31-40 range (like the old school 50mm of film)...i like the look of the FA 35mm 2.0...any others folks would recommend? thanks for your recommendation Rob...i'll take a look!
LeDave, I was worried about it being so cheap...maybe an older model. It was sort of embarrassing asking the guy if i could use his computer to check shutter count and date of manufacture, but for that price, how could i pass it up!
thanks for the warm welcome folks. all the best!