Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2012, 03:50 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Konichiwa! こんいちわ!

Hello everyone! I'd just like to say hello from Japan and I'm looking forward to exploring and learning more about my photography hobby with this forum! I have always been using a point and shoot camera and I am pretty creative when it comes to taking photos, so I decided to take it up a level. I've been talking to my buddy who is also a member on here and has a forum on astrophotography and he inspired me to get a DSLR. So, after talking to him and reading up on all the reviews, I've decided to get the Pentax K-5! He also has the K-5 and LOVES IT! I had to special order mine and I will be picking it up Wednesday. Since I made the decision to get this, I've been using my buddy's extra camera, the K-x so, I can get use to using the "Manual" settings and the "Priority" settings. I have a lot to learn, however, I love being in control of the camera and setting the camera to get the look that I want. I can't...WAIT...to get out on the streets of Japan with MY...K-5...and take some amazing photos of this beautiful, photogenic country! I also can't wait to enter a photo I took of my daughter in a contest. I'm confident that it will do good! It was one of those, spur of the moment, point and shoot shots that turned out breathtaking! I can't wait to get opinions on it. My friend looked at it and was pleasantly surprised at what I did and suggested I enter it in a contest. Anyway, I look forward to using this forum and seeing everyone's photographic art!

Semper Fi
Sean

07-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and more importantly, Welcome to the Pentax K-5 Club.
07-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
What would you do?

Hello and thank you! Like I said in my post, this will be my first DSLR. So my question to you and anyone else who see this would be...

1. With what you know now, had you known it back then, what would you do differently or better when you first got your new
K-5?

2. What is a good lens upgrade for this camera? Wide/Zoom

3. Any "must haves" to get with this camera?

4. Any concerns or considerations I should know about?

I did hear that the K-5 has a firmware update but that's about it.

Thanks!
07-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you go to the Pentax K-5 forum and post your questions there I'm sure you'll get all the answers you need, because this is an introduction forum not too many people may read you requests.

07-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I just bought a K-5 (my first dslr) and I unboxed it June 1 of this year... so take my advice with my level of experience.

I will recommend a couple of books for you and a couple of other things that I have discovered along the way too...

Books:
The Photographer's Eye
The Photographer's Mind

both by Michael Freeman

As far as lenses go..I have been dumping cash like crazy into buying and testing out lenses.

1. Get a good tripod.
2. If you want to upgrade the kit lens (which I recommend doing) the Tamron 17-50mm is a good choice. I am sure there are others that maybe are even better.

Other than that treat lenses like tools. Don't just buy lenses randomly. Each one is a tool to do a job. I would recommend forking out the dough to get at least one prime with a f1.4 (or better) lens. You can learn a ton and get creative with depth of field and portraits and such with a 50mm f1.4 or even a f1.7.

I am speaking from buying a few thousand bucks in lenses already worth of experience. As far as what lenses??? That all depends on what you want to shoot and there is endless talk and debate and discussion on the subject. Get used to it
07-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shocktroop5811 Quote
Hello and thank you! Like I said in my post, this will be my first DSLR. So my question to you and anyone else who see this would be...

1. With what you know now, had you known it back then, what would you do differently or better when you first got your new
K-5?

2. What is a good lens upgrade for this camera? Wide/Zoom

3. Any "must haves" to get with this camera?

4. Any concerns or considerations I should know about?

I did hear that the K-5 has a firmware update but that's about it.

Thanks!
Irasshaimase! I'm sure you're going to like this forums. There are lots of good information here, and lots of great talk threads too. Anyways as for your question..

1. I don't have a K-5 yet myself so I can't answer your question >_<

2. Good lens upgrade... for a kit, it's the DA 18-135 WR Then one good option for the wide zoom will be the DA*16-50, but it's a bit expensive... there's always the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, but it lacks weather-sealing. And of course, any of the FA and DA Limiteds are an excellent choice!

3. Must haves... the DBG-4 battery grip I say and a Metz flash too!

4. Some units tend to have AF issues in low-light and tungsten, you might wanna check yours out if it has some too. But the later batches of K-5s I know don't have that anymore.

Happy shooting!
07-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you! ありがとうございました

Yoroshiku onegaishimasuよろしくお願いします!
Thank you for your help! I'm looking forward to Wednesday when I finally can pick up my K-5. It can't get here soon enough!